using a cb

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by bigbaddiesel, Sep 29, 2006.

1. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Well-Known Member

Media:
    i know i use mine a lot to talk with friends when pulling cattle or horses does anybody else still use them???

2. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

yes I do on trail rides and long trips

3. WD40

WD40 Active Member

CB's

Yes I still use mine when on trips, Want a new one with uppers & Lowers. The old Galary DX 44 is dead after 3 million miles. I retired it when I retired. Sure miss the old gal. Sure hope she never starts to talking.

4. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I use mine when wheelin to talk to others on the trail and when on long trips with other vehicles. Cell phones dont work everywhere but CBs do.

5. powerboatr

powerboatr Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    yep on road trips to see where the bears and things are or wrecks or fuel prices ahead
    mainly bearsrotfl

6. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    i have one in the tow rig and the trail rig

7. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Exactly! same herewaytogo

8. C A Hadley

C A Hadley New Member

CB's

Yes, I use mine all the time. When ever we haul the camper especially. There is a lot of garbage in some areas but I still feel that the good outweighs the bad.waytogo

9. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have my CB on all the time. If nothing more than entertainment for drives. Also handy for traffic info, bear reports, and general info.

10. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

11. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

I have a Cobra 148 NW ST with goodies!waytogo 40 lower, 40 upper ( and I'm not talking sideband here, already had that) and a 400 watt kicker!

12. jekquist5

jekquist5 Member

Use mine all the time. I have a lil cobra DX19 in the car with a mag mount on the trunk. Helps me avoid wrecks and backups. Plus it doesn't get much better then listening to two truckers fight over something that is completely useless

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

The fights make it worth haveing sometimes nothing like rush hour in Knoxville or Atlanta

14. bigbaddiesel

bigbaddiesel Well-Known Member

Media:
    wow soo thats exactly why i bought mine for except we dont have many good fights up here in the middle of no where ... im sure atlanta has great trucker stories

15. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

Got my first CB in 1976, when you actually were supposed to have a license and had a lot of fun playing fox and hound every saturday night.
    Back in my early days as a trucker I always had my squawk box on and copied the mail but got real tired of all the trash. Most of the time l'd keep the squelch tuned all the way up and on one trip while heading up I-26 in SC with an empty container late one night I hear the sweetest female voice boom out of the speaker asking "is anyone out there"? I grabbed the mic and we talked for a few miles, they were going from Myrtle Beach home to Johnson City, Tn and when they passed me I saw three good looking blonds in the car. Two sisters and a sister-in-law and after a while I asked if one of them would like to ride in the big truck, at that they pulled off the road and one ran back and got in the truck with me. I was driving an R model Mack and not even a nice one, but away we went. About five miles later I asked the other two who would like to be next and the next one didn't impress me at all, she lasted about a mile.
    The sister-in-law got in last and I kept her all night but when I got word that the coup was open in NC I had to get rid of her somehow and the other two had vanished. I tried having her sit on the floor between the seats and covering her with a jacket but that didn't work. She suggested getting in the trailer but I definately didn't want to do that and finally the other two showed up and I crossed the scale alone. I thought that was the end but they were waiting for me up the road and she jumped in again.
    On I-40 about daylight we all stopped for breakfast and afterward I said goodbye and headed for my truck. I was surprized to see this good looking woman climb in again and we drove about an hour to her turn off. I had kept closer tabs on the other two and not let them get lost again as I didn't have time now to wait. We pulled off with the other two ahead and my passenger told me that it looked like the tag was missing on the trailer so we got out to look but the tag was there. She just wanted to hide and give me the warmest hug and kiss that I ever had. She told me that it was the best night she's had in a long time and wished that she could ride with me forever. As they drove away I heard her say "Have a nice life" on the CB...I still think about her, obviously.

Old Trucker

16. Alt-Tab

Alt-Tab Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My first CB radio was a handheld display model, with no antenna, no power cord, no manuals, or anything, that I bought when Sun Electronics went out of business. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12" rubber ducky antenna and a power cable, and spent many nights straining to hear what was on the air.

Then I bought an adapter to use a full size antenna with a handheld radio - I found Dad's old trunk mount antenna in the attic, and began to pick up a lot more. Many nights were spent with the radio clipped to the headboard, headphones on my ears, just listening. There was a lady "Super B" that worked in a toll booth that had a radio, everybody knew her. She's passed away now and I don't hear people asking about her any more.

One day at college I was poking around a pawn shop and discovered a small Maxon Factory Reconditioned radio, still in the box, for $30. I bought it, and then went to Radio Shack (bad idea) for a magnet mount antenna. I mounted it on the roof of my '95 Chevy truck.

Eventually I upgraded to a Wilson Lil Wil antenna, a MUCH better improvement over the crappy Radio Shack junk.

I started talking on the radio more and more, and became frustrated with my lack of performance, so I bought a Uniden PC78LTW, and had it peaked and tuned. Then I bought twin 4' Wilson 1000's and mounted them on the bed corners.

A couple months ago I wanted more power and some of the toys like talkback, echo, and roger beeps. I found a Stryker radio that was putting 2.5x the power of my peaked and tuned radio - putting out about 55w on the swing. That's what I'm running now, and I love it!

Day and night pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ProjekTJ

ProjekTJ New Member

In a 2nd Gen dodge where are ya'll running the antenna cable thru and out of the cab to get to the rear portion on the truck? I'm thinking of mounting mine on the tool box just behind the window...but I really don't want to drill a big hole in the cab to run the antenna there.

Let me know what your solution was.

Staton

18. C A Hadley

C A Hadley New Member

I can't tell you about a Dodge but there is a nice place in the firewall of a Ford to run wires needed and then silicone around them. I ran my coax down along the frame, attaching it with nylon wire ties being carefull that it doesn't chafe. I then brought it up between cab and body, across the roof to my magnet based antenna. When everything was centered and taunt I applied three, 2" lines of silicone on each side of the coax about 1/4" wide spaced evenly along the roof. I also did the silicone trick down the divider of my back window. Between there and the frame was not attached but there was very little slack between those two points and everything worked well. I have done this on several trucks with no trouble.

19. tedreminder

tedreminder Member

Media:
    I haul expedited freight with my GMC 3500. I use the cb a lot.
    Ted

20. ironhauler06

ironhauler06 Member

Nice man! Where did you find that radio and how much if you dont mind me asking. I like the fast that its smaller. I cant seem to find a decent place in my 06 to mount one.