Exhaust brake for the 6.0L?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by Shaggy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd love to get one but have heard that they aren't good on the 6.0L engines. I've found some places that make them for 99-04 but not specifically for the '05, even though I think the engine is the same other than minor differences. So what's the deal, can I put an exhaust brake on my '05?

2. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ex-brake

Don't know, was not an option on my 06'.

3. 4x4chase

4x4chase Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat! I cant find anybody who has installed one on a 6.0 I got a screamin deal on a BD exhaust brake but was hoping to find some users out there to help get rid of my concerns. Looks loke I get to be the guinea pig!!! Judging from some of the cheap kits I have looked at the BD should be one of the better ones on the market.

4. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ex-brake

Let us know how it turns out and plenty pics.:popcorn:

5. bogg

bogg Member

Media:
    I think the T/H does a fine job. I run all the mountains in the west with truck loaded and 5th wheel packed. On my 2nd 6.0 (140,000 miles total). If they offered it, I would not waist the $$$. Also I should mention that I have put on many miles in big rigs with 'Jakes', and this tranny really does a great job as long as you use it as intended...

6. Bullrack

Bullrack Well-Known Member

I want one for mine but it's a 6spd. I had one on a 5spd. 7.3L and loved it.

7. Bullrack

Bullrack Well-Known Member

As soon as I change my Vgt turbo out for a wastegated one then I will have an exhaust brake. I won't install one with the VGT because I'm scared of exhaust gasses coming back through the turbo and possibly causing an overboost situation.

8. 4x4chase

Getting There

OK I got a new exhaust and had the brake installed at the same time. now I just need to finish the install. If we could get out of this snow in the midwest I would be done by now. The BD exhaust brake says to install it behind the cat, which is about the only place we have clearance for it. I will get some pics soon.

9. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    BD builds a really nice brake. I have installed several on Dodges, but haven't had the pleasure on a Ford yet. I might have to call Dave at BD and see whats up for the 05 06 trucks . . .

10. 4x4chase

Getting a little help

Well since we are expecting more snow (and my PSD wont fit in my garage) I am going to have a local shop finish the install. I also dont have a tranny pressure guage ( as the instuctions say is necessary) SOOO as soon as its installed I will get some pics and report how it does. waytogo

11. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I will batt for T/H but I must would say it would be great with a exhaust brake there is always more room to improve on perfection my wife trys it on me everyday..

12. 4x4chase

I need some clarification what are you referring to as T/H

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Tow/Haul or well really a fancy way of saying overdrivewaytogo

14. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

Towhaul doesn't take away my overdrive. It still works great. It helps by making the tranny downshift when braking and it holds the gears a little longer.

15. 4x4chase

Exhaust Brake Installed

OK finally got some warm weather to finish the install of my exhuast brake. First impressions were not good untill I fine tuned the controllerwaytogo now I am very happy. I still need to get the truck to a shop to check the tranny pressure with it engaged. I dont have the tools for that. I had to let on of our soldiers borrow my truck as he is back for his sisters funeral. SOOO as soon as I get it back I will get it to my shop for the finishing touches. I will load her up and head to moab for easter and I will be able to tell how well it all works.
    This in not an install for the faint of heart. There were many connections I had to find. The BD installation manual is excellent but It still took me a good 8 hrs.:rolleyes:

16. Patrick@DPP

Patrick@DPP Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have any of you considered the SCT Xcal2 hand held programmer? It has the option of turning your VGT in an exhaust brake by changing the pitch of the vanes. I know it works pretty darn good on my truck. lol

17. Harold

Harold Member

Pacbrake

Pacbrake offers an exhaust brake kit for the 6.0L engine, the kit comes with its own on-board air system, that you can build upon (air horns, airbags ect.) The kit also interfaces with the engines CANBUS electronics, and will not interfere with the EGR or the VGT turbo. For further information contact the Pacbrake customer service department.

In respect to the tow-haul mode, yes it is good however, with the exhaust brake being interfaced through the electronics the combo is fantastic, No riding of the brakes and the transmission down shifts less, as the brake is pressure regulated right down to 1200 RPMS.

18. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I had a custom tune done for my truck that makes the turbo act like an exhuast brake. You do feel the trcuk slow down nice when towing. Contact DJ's diesel performance. He's the one that does my tunes for my Xcal2. Pm me and I will send you his number.

19. bogg

bogg Member

Media:
    I have pulled 150,000 miles with my 6.0's and have found that the Tow/Haul does a great job. I pull mostly western mountains...12k 5er 21k gross

20. 4x4chase

OK finally found some time to update on the e brake. Fully loaded I was at 20,500lbs. The first trip down Esienhower I used the T/H and it kept me around 60 to 65 with some moderate braking, however it takes some getting used to the high rpm(3500-4000) used to slow you down. I guess Ford locks up the torque convertor which in turn raises the rpm. After Vail pass I used the E brake and it did awsome keeping me right at 60 mph with very little foot braking action and now my RPM stayed at 2500. I think if I increase the line pressure in the tranny I will not have to use any braking whatsoever. Now for the price of the BD exhaust brake I dont think it would we worth it unless you do a serious amount of towing in the mountains. Luckily I got a killer deal on a brand new one.