New to TOW RIG.

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by MADDOG, Dec 20, 2006.

1. MADDOG

MADDOG Member

Hello folks, I'm new to this site and I would appreciate input for some upgrades that I can do to my '00 F250 PS Super Duty 4x4. I have 111000 miles on it and have always changed my oil @ 5K and fuel filter around 15k. I use shell rotella 15-40 and Fram filters. I also serviced my 4r100 at the required interval. I use the truck to haul about 16 1000 lb hay bales. a 11k lb excavator and a 14k lb dozer and a 24' Grady White with twin 135 Honda 4 strokes. I pull the equipment on the road using a 10 ton gooseneck flatbed, my overdrive wiring is cut at the steering wheel so I do pull the loads with OD on. I know that I've pushed this truck beyond it limits however it has held up extremely well.

I am starting to have a few problems and want to do the repairs my self. So any advice would be appreciated.
    Problem #1: when the truck is cold it takes longer to start, I was told that it may be a relay and not the glow plugs any ideas?
    #2: when the outside temperature is cold the exhaust makes a high pitch hissing sound until the truck warms up. sounds like restricted exhaust but only does it when it is cold outside, and is intermitting not constant.

I am also toying with the idea of putting a flatbed on the truck and putting one ton wheels on it or changing out the rearend with a one ton. any has anyone done this or any ideas Pro/Con.

thanks for any comments.
    Maddog.

2. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    Welcomewaytogo When i get a lil more time I will help answer your questions. Until then, im sure someone come along

3. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:

When it is cold outside, that hissing is normal. It does restrict the exhaust to help heat the motor faster (Exhaust back pressure valve). Also it should go into a high idle mode after a few minutes(when left idling) and go back to normal when to tap the brake pedal.

You are absolutely correct, it may very well be the gpr, glow plug relay, and they are a piece of cake to replace and are very inexpensive.

waytogo

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Howdy you could swap out to one ton rear end but I would just addd some quaily air bags and keep factory under there.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Welcome dude. I don't have any useful information for you but howdy none the less.waytogo

6. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Welcome.

Like posted, the hiss is normal, called a warm up valve, and with some electrical work acan be used as an exhasut brake.

As for teh plugs, sounds like you are looking for the Glow Plug Controller.

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

The only benefit of swapping the rear is the stability to the dual wheels. Your tires would also ride less stressed. The biggest down fall is having to extra tires to replace. Airbags is also a good idea. I have them in my truck and love them.

8. Djc94

Djc94 Member

How long are you letting the glow plugs heat up? If you're hopping into the truck and immediately trying to start it, the glow plugs have not had enough time to do anything. They will stay on for about 2 minutes, even after the dash light goes out. Give it at least the amount of time that the light is on if not a little longer before hitting the starter. Also, you might try plugging in the block heater overnight or about 4 hours before starting. As far as the hiss, it is the EBPV. Hope this helps.

9. kawboy

kawboy Member

overloading

Putting the loads on it that you are talking about is a sure formula for early tramsmission/engine/differential failure regardless of putting on one ton rear end, dual wheels or air bags. Especially with the OD switch stuck in the on position. At best the hitch rating for that truck is around one ton with a tow rating of around 14k and you are putting on a trailer rated at 20k? I sure do hope for your sake that you have good brakes on that F-250.