Bought a dodge

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by joez, Mar 2, 2007.

1. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Just as the title says, today i traded in my chevy for a dodge. :eek:

Picked up a '97 Club Cab longbed, cummins obviously. It was a one owner truck, super clean inside and out. It was owned by an older guy, and it shows. It does have a banks powerpack on it, but that will change. The only real downside is that its an auto, i would have rather had a 5-speed, but i will be happy with it. Pics coming tommarow.

2. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

sweet dudewaytogo

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, I would have said you'd be one of the last guys to go with a Dodge.

Why did you trade the GM in? I liked that truck.

4. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thats what i thought to, im still in a bit of shock that i actually bought a dodge. I was actually all set to swap a 6bt into it and a SFA under the front end until i had an, uh, "issue" with the frame. The right front shock tower tore off the truck, and took a section of frame bigger than my hand with it. In the short period between when it broke, and when i finally limped it home, the right framerail bent between the control arm mounts.

That wasnt the only problem with the truck either. There were alot of little issues i had just been living with, that i was tired of. The truck was driven hard and put away wet before i got it, and as i piled the mileage on that became more and more obvious. It wasnt nearly as bad when i bought it, but after 35K miles in a little over a year the problems were coming out of hiding.

Not only that, but last month i got promoted at work and recieved a substantial raise, so i had been exploring my options for a little while now. I almost bought a powerstroke last week, until BurnedBronco let me borrow his scanner to check the truck out for asecond time before i bought it. It failed the cylinder contribution test and when i came back and told the owner that he no longer wanted to deal with me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, onto a couple pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    Nice ride. Looks real clean from the pic's.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh wow, I didn't relize that you were having those issues with your 6.5td.

Well, I hope your jump over to Mopar will be as fruitfull as mine has been. I haven't even looked back.

Wait till' you drop a #10 plate in that hog....:D

7. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

great lookin truck man

8. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    The funny thing about that is, the only things i wasnt having any trouble with were the motor, trans, and rear end. Instead of the 6.5 coming appart inside the truck, it was the truck that was coming appart arround the 6.5. :doah:

And yes, big power is in the future, one of the first things to go in will be a fully built Goerend trans.

9. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Clean ride!

You are on the right track looking at the transmission first! Dave's a great guy to deal with. We just started carrying his stuff and I look forward to checking one out. Being that they are a reasonably priced unit, I expect to install a few in the coming months.waytogo

PS - Those Banks stickers are good for like 40hp on a 12v. Maybe ever 50hp if they are still shiny!rotfl

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Look on the bright side, you can still say " Hey, but I didn't have any IFS problems!"rotfl :doah:

Goerend sounds like a good plan, and you likely aleady know this but I'll say it anyway. Build that trans as strong as your budget will allow. I've come to the conclusion that overbuilding an auto is about the only way to go. I built my new (a year old now) auto for right at, if not a tad under, the power level my truck is at (350HP) and am now paying for it in not having all the benifets of a built auto. I've got the low stall efficiency and all but I can still slip that darned single disk converter if I try....

What motor mods do you plan?

11. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Pretty standard stuff, head studs, 370's, #100 fuel plate, ATS exhaust manifold, and i havent yet decided on the turbo, delivery valves, and a few other misc things.

So far im averaging 19-22mpg with a light foot:D

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    So you're liking that Cummins fuel mileage huh?rotfl waytogo

Sounds like you've got a pretty mean motor planned.

13. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new tow rig looks great.

14. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

ya, and no one ever believe me when i tell that that p jokes cant go over 5 k on regular oil without long term problems. that truck probably needed all 8 injectors.........

on your trans. donate some $$ towards me buying a trans jack and you can do it on the hoist............ done a few, can give you a hand and have it out and on the ground in about 2 hours.