Put supercharger on or get diesel????

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by marine6132, Mar 24, 2007.

1. marine6132

marine6132 Member

Hello, I have a 2001 chevy 1500HD crew cab 4wd with 75000 miles. I have a gooseneck ball installed. I'm in the process of buying a 40ft aluminum goosneck trailer ( 24000 pound capacity ) I will using it to carry tractors that I sell for another company ranging from 27 hp to 114 hp. My question is do i put the money in my old truck like supercharger , intakes , high pressure fuel pumps etc. to be able to get more towing hp/tq. or do I trade it in for a diesel. Its not like I'll be on the road 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Just occasionally. Would love some help with what I need to do ? I really like the truck I have now it runs great.

2. stroker99

stroker99 Member

just my .02 if it were me I would buy a diesel once you own one youll never go back. plus youll get a little more towing capcity.

3. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

id get a diesel myself, like stroker said once you own one you wont want a gas powered truck again. its already got enough hp/trq to tow whatever ya want stock plus if you want a lil more hp/trq you can soup it up fairly cheap compared to the gasser.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    A supercharged gas engine vs. a diesel is the least of your worries.

What is ten times more important is the fact that you are going to overload your 1500HD chassis with that new trailer and tractors.

People seem to forget at times, it's not the engine that makes or breaks being able to tow something, it's the chassis that determines what you can and can't do. YOur 6.0L small block would do just fine, it's got the power without ANY aftermarket add ons.

What you need is a longer wheel base, a heavier frame, MUCH bigger springs, and a heavier running gear.

A 110HP tractor and 40 ft trailer will basically legally overload a 1 ton dually pickup, and would be wildly overloaded with an HD 1/2ton.

Get yourself a 1 ton long bed dually pickup, any of the big three, and any of the engines basically. You can get a small block in a 1 ton dually, because it will still get the job done.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 Well-Known Member

Media:
    A 1/2 ton tranny, rearend, & brakes are really not going to like that kind of a load. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel and set it up to haul what you want. Like everyone said once you tow with a diesel you will never consider towing with a gasser again.

My buddies dad bought a 3/4 ton 6.0L Chevy for occasional towing of his 5th wheel camper. He figured that with the hypertech chip, exhaust, & intake he would be able to keep up with most of the diesel guys. He was wrong. He got on the first big hill and the best he could do was 45 mph in second gear on the redline. He had Powerstrokes, Dmax's, & Cummins haulin bigger loads up the hill passing him like nothin. He was a little irritated to say the least. He said his next truck will be a diesel for sure.

Harley

6. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

you need a 1 ton at minimum, should be a dually.

7. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

you wil get a lot better MPG if you got the diesel

8. marine6132

marine6132 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts , I'll start searching the dealers!!!

9. musicmasterstravis

do you have any preference in brands?

10. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

One ton dually with a oil burner is what you need!!!!!

11. marine6132

marine6132 Member

I"ve been looking at the new 6.7 cummins in the mega cab configuration. They say it has less noise than chevy or ford???

12. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

just me but i would wait a year or 2 for the 6.7's let em get the bugs outta it first.

13. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    your 1/2 ton has plenty of power... the motor is not your issue. what you really need is a chassis and suspension that can handle that kind of weight (meaning buy a 1 ton dually at least).

shoot, my tacoma has enough power to pull over 3 tons... but the truck is not meant to handle that kind of weight (even if it has the power to pull it).

14. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I used to tow with a 2500 w/ a 6.0 gas. The trailer loaded weighed over 30k. All I ever did was add firestone air bars to the rear. Truck had 48k miles on it when I sold it. Truck never broke down. You don't really need an oil burner.

15. musicmasterstravis

we had one in our shop, sounded a lot quieter then the others