New 6.4 vs 6.7 vs 6.6

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by DMAXRIG, Dec 15, 2006.

1. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Ok guys, what are your thoughts on the new and coming engines coming out? Ill start with what I think, but these are only my opinions.

1. 6.7 Cummins-sad to see the 5.9 go away, but I have not doubt the 6.7 will be just as good. Cummins has always been a great engine and I think it always will be. I am interested in seeing one with the new 6 speed auto, I think Dodge finally got a good auto nowwaytogo .

2. 6.6 Duramax LMM- Not much different from the current LBZ, just the particle filter and all the wonderful emmissions crap added:mad: . But no doubt it will be great. I think it says alot that GM didnt have to put out a whole new engine like the others to meet emmissions, just programming on the current enginewaytogo

3. 6.4 Power Stroke- Well....if its near as reliable as the 7.3 was, it'll be good. But, if its like the 6.0, may be in trouble! I personally do not like the idea of duel turbos. More to go wrong. If Ford did it right, they may be ok, but if they fouled up again, could be bad! But Ford knows that they have alot riding, so it may be ok. Well see.:dunno:

What are your guys thoughts, Im very interested in seeing, but have my doubts on the Ford. I think Dodge and GM will be fine, I just hate to see all the changes on these engines.

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Like you said, Ford has a lot riding on the new 6.4, could be feast or famine with that one, I think a lot of people will take a wait and see attitude before they jump on it.

3. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Dodges and Fords engines will be fairly new I would say wait a while if I had to pic an engine of the three what would be the most relaible I would say at this point the 6.6 as it has not really changed and the platform works well.

4. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Cummins will do fine as will the D-max. But, like mentioned, the 6.4 needs to be trouble free. I hope they don't have a repeat of the 6.0. I can not figure out why, Ford has not gone to the inline 6 offered in the international trucks.

I think the next test of the big 3 will be in the Class 4 and 5 trucks with these engines installed. That is, if Dodge ever gets off it and builds a 4500 and 5500.

Dave

5. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    This will be interesting to watch especially from the Ford group. Navistar is looking for someone to but them up, too many financial problems......

6. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine from a performance exhaust shop was telling me that the new variable vane turbos are not holding up. They should all go back to waste gates! Apprently the variable vanes are getting sticky with soot and not working like they are supposed to. Anyone run into this problem? As for the new engines...Im open minded, like anything there will be a period of uncertainy and a few quirks to get out. The first common rail cummins had issues, the first 24 valve cummins had issues, the early duramax had injector problems ect... Time will tell. I am still a huge fan of the inline 6. Sounds great, pulls great and is still a bit simpler than its little brothers waytogo

7. Sam173210

Sam173210 Member

Ford should just go back to the 7.3 it worked, pulled with no problems and ran for miles. Ive got the 6.0 and its been ok but this new 6.4 better be much more reliable

8. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

im very eager to see how the new 6.4 will do, my dealer has had a demo for about 2 months now, and they have put 20,000 miles on it, and nothn has gone wrong with it, and its averaging 15-16mpg in town, on a 4x4 dually. so im quite eager, i think ford might of got it right this time. dont know about the cummins, but i like they have a 6 speed auto. but im worried about all this new emmision crao and what that going to do to performance features, especially exhaust! a cummins without the noise is just not a cummins to me!

9. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

i would go ford, the new engine is from international :)

10. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    All of Ford's diesels have been made by International.

11. LilFordGirl

LilFordGirl Active Member

Did you not know they were all international? waytogo

12. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

im not too damned excited about any of them...all teh emisions stuff is just reminding me way too much of a 86 camaro i had you could hardly change the back spark plugs there was so much crap in the engine bay i dont know guess well see how they do

13. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    i think that dodge has a lot going for them if the 6.7 proves to be as good as the 5.9 and the aisin tranny holds up like the allson in the gm's does then dodge will be set. and the duramax really cant be bad. we'll seee.

14. crashguy

crashguy Well-Known Member

Media:
    Really too soon to tell, but here's what my crystal ball is telling me...

GM is apparently working on a replacement for the 6.6L Duramax, called the "Umax" (maybe code for Ultramax?) as the current LMM version will not meet 2010 emissions standards (likely will but at reduced power and so they will redesign it - likely with increased displacement).:confused:

Fords 6.4L has already had one major issue (the recall), and is not looking really promising. Also, I just learned that Ford is working on a replacement for the 6.4L they just introduced, and they are in the "hurry up offence" as they are miffed with Navistar over the issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L PSD and the ongoing court battle over warranty costs. I posted a thread about this in another forum here (the truck news/concepts forum).:doah:

Dodge/Cummins has it right IMO. The 6.7L already meets 2010 emissions, and I think they can easily tweak it to make more tq and hp if the competitors up the ante. Already, in a motorhome application, the 6.7L is tuned to make 350hp and 750ft-lbs of torque:eek: . I see good things here. No redesign necessary for 2010, just tweaks to get it perfect, much like the 5.9L evolved in it's 18 years as a Dodge powerplant (over 1.5 million of them produced).:D

15. CoastalDav

CoastalDav Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
  16. cummins4x4

cummins4x4 Well-Known Member

If the new Ford Engine proofs reliable I might get a F450 in the future....gotta love the payload capacity and twin turbos.

17. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I test drove one today and man when it spools up its like a rocket taking offwaytogo now I dont know if I will end up getting one myself since the 6.4TT is going to die out to a 6.7 with 400 HP and 700 TQ in 2010.

18. Diesel Addict

Diesel Addict Member

I agree, the 7.3 was almost as reliable as the 5.9 cummins and "there's no replacement for displacement".

19. Stock 87

Stock 87 Active Member

What do you mean ALMOST as reliable?

20. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You heard him..... almost.:stir: rotfl