Doesnt it get old?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by carguy9135, Apr 21, 2007.

1. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Alright, i asked my dad if he could teach me how to drive a stick and he said absolutely not. I asked why and he told me that there is no point because im getting an automatic and that driving a stick will get old.

I know that a good majority of you have the manual trans in your truck. I know the manual trans has its advantages and all with towing and stuff like that, BUT do you think that it ever gets old?

2. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I was in a traffic jam last week, took me an hour to drive two miles in my truck. YES it gets old.:mad:

3. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

aaarrrrgh ye ol left leg is cramped:stir:

4. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

Yes it gets old in traffic, BUT you still need to know how to drive one though. Who knows when you may need to drive one even if it's not YOUR DD rig.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  5. Splash

Splash Member

I will have to agree with Ponyracer on the fact that learning to drive a stick is always a good idea becuase you never know when you might have to drive one in an emergency. My parents wouldn't let me get my license until I learned how to drive a stick, mind you my first car was a stick so I had to learn anyway.

6. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    i agree with them, i think everyone should know how to operate both types of tranny's. i just makes sense.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    it only gets old in trafic, and when you have shoulder surgery on your right shoulder... lol

in So Cal, i just used 3rd all the time. it wasnt as bad then.

i do agree you should know how to drive both. honestly, i think it should be required to take the drivers test in a manual trans... just me though.

8. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I miss the old clutch action but traffic jams can suck and hard spots to get your trailer into as well but you really do need to learn one.

9. jbawilliams

jbawilliams Active Member

Personally, I don't think it gets old. I have spent time in traffic, but that is just the way it is. In those instances, I just put it in granny, and creep along at idle speed. As long as you are moving at any semi consistant speed, it is no problem. I have NEVER regretted having a manual transmission. While automatics have come a long way, especially in the last 5 years, for my loads, I can shift better than any auto. It takes time to be proficient at it, and every rig is different. When I had my 96 PSD, it had a ZF5, and 4.10 rears. I got pretty good with it. When I changed to a 99, it has ZF6 and 3.73 rears. The shift points are different, and I was not very smooth at first, but now, I feel pretty good about it again. If you don't use it every day, you will be rusty every time you use it, and 'it will be a pain.'

10. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I love driving stick. It is way more fun than an auto, and sticks are way cheaper/easier to fix. Sometimes traffic can be a pain but not always. My work truck is a stick and I drove it 30k+ miles last year and have no regrets.

11. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

sticks have some advantages, but my sore left leg hurts though.
    i would rather drive a stick in our semi wrecker than in my pickup, just do to the fact that i dont use the clutch in that big of a truck.
    in stop and go city driving, sticks blow.

jsut bought anew car, $1k option for an auto, and guess what, i took it..... have enough stick vehicles, dont need another.

12. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

That was just my third time in the truck. Thanks for the 1st gear tip I will do that next time, and where I live there is always a 'next time'.:rolleyes:

13. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

Just sucks in traffic. Downhills are nice with a gasser or an exhaust brake.

14. 06bowtie_guy

06bowtie_guy Well-Known Member

Media:
    I like stick. Unfortunatly not available on the newer d-max trucks. If you ever plan to own a bike it will help. Understanding the clutch shift let it out. waytogo

15. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

it has it ups and downs, one is that when your towing your trans wont downshift so you mpg will be higher, city driving sucks with them

16. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

you must drive very heavy footed in city traffic(I.E. light to light) I get better MPG's with a stick over an automatic at both city and hiway(and I drive lightly spirited):cool: I've found that most automatics require a little more go peddle than a standard. (this is to compensate for the need to get the trans fluid moving for proper shifting pressures) yes in heavy city traffic the sticks can put a lot of pressure on the left leg muscles but then I don't drive during rush hour(keeps the maniacs from crunching up my vehicles)

17. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

I love my 6 spd most of the time, although in traffic, it does suck. My dad has an 04.5 CTD with an auto, and while I like it, its just not the same, control wise. I feel in more control when towing with my 6 spd.. not to mention, my dads stock trans went down the crapper recently, and he had it rebuilt, to the tune of $2500. :(
    Scott

18. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    when i had my ram i just drove like a trucker and kept a huge distance from the car infront of me and kept it in granny.waytogo

19. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

ya, but then 4 cars dart in that hole leading you on there bumper.......trust me, i know, i always leave good sized gaps when towing a heavy truck with our large wrecker, mainly do to i have no brakes on the 15-65k truck i am towing, and when i tow semis i only have there trailer brakes working with me, not the tractor.
    65K truck, plus 25K truck towing it, with two axles with brakes and driving in the city, trying to leave large gaps makes for HAIRY situtations when small cars dart in those gaps coming up to lights....

20. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I feel you there as well darting cars can suck or cars who pull out infront of you and only want to go 30 under the limit.