Gooseneck with pickup camper???

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by MNorby, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've been contimplating trying to find a longer gooseneck trailer than what I was originally looking for so I could put a pickup type camper on it. MY boss has a camper I could get really easy and was thinking of putting on the front with the over-cab part over the hitch on maybe a 28-32' flatbed then still have room on the back for my 4X. Any ideas, concerns or pics of such an idea? Thanks. Here is the camper, would build a base and make the wheel well openning filled in with the water tanks and lockable storgae or something...

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Lots of folks have done what you describe and it works very well. I would have done something like that by now myself if I had a place to park it.

3. therobzilla

therobzilla Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Here you go, this is the second time I have done this, checks out my readers rides at CK5, there are some older pictures of my last setup.

Lance Camper On Gooseneck Trailer

4. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    nice! How long of trailer is that? Looks almost on the smidge short side.

5. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    That's A great idea I wonder how well it would work with a ball type trailer or pintel hitch? The thing that I would like to try and do is get the lowest center or gravity as possible. Also could you make it a drive on drive off for sleds?

6. mbryson

mbryson Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it couldn't be done {because it could}, but there'd need to be a lot of thought put into it and what you're going to tow it with. Sounds kinda heavy to me. Figure 3500 lbs for the camper (loaded kinda lightly) and 4000 lbs for a rig (that might be a smig on the light side for most of us) and a 2500 lb. trailer. Utah math puts that at 10K lbs gross which is a LOT on a bumper pull.

If you're just doing snow machines, I'm betting you're going to be OK, but still kinda heavy? According to www.polaris.com, an RMK 900 166 is about 550 lbs dry. That'd be 2500 lbs for the sleds, trail ready (assuming 4) and a gross of about 8500ish lbs. Definitely doable, but still heavy for a bumper pull. Might be a cool option for the sled or ATV guys........but that's what 'Toy Haulers' are built for, right?

(the 2500 lbs trailer might be kinda light for a weight capacity that you might need?)

7. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    True I am tinking of a goose neck but it was just a thought. I think my CTD oculd pull a 10,000 pound load ok. Well I will keep planing and asking questions.

8. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    Quick question about your set up. How did you get the camper on the trailer?

9. therobzilla

therobzilla Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Two forklifts on each side, with the forks spread apart, then back the trailer under the camper. Very easy with fork lifts, but almost impossible without.

Check out the almost finished product.

Camper on Gooseneck

10. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    That is such a SWEET setup Rob, well done...

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

there it is.... oh, you said camper... hmm, well when im done ill be able to sleep in the storage container, have a generator and wind shield over the front of the neck on the trailer and my mini fridge will be full of jack and coke. i have ALL my tools in there to include an engine stand and a cherry picker. with the right generator ill be able to get a welder, my air compressor works nice in there as well....

some overhead storage inside the box with a flip down bed and all should be well.

trailer is a 32 foot deck. box is a 10 foot shipping container. locks up real well.

its wheeling right? that means living rugged for a bit is good... but im not into that rugged though.. have to have a fridge most times.
    Grant

12. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

how heavy is that setup and how does your tow vehicle look when the front jacks are up? that's got to be heavy.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    as it sits in that picture the jacks are just stabalizing the trailer as i was working on my truck. i have air bags to keep the truck level, but with the way the trailer is loaded it sits the truck just onto the overload springs. meaning it sits the rear about half an inch lower than the front with no air in the bags. i keep about 55 PSI in the bags when i pull and it puts the truck back to stock height.

when i took this picture i had just come from the scales a GCWR of 25,050. this is with 1/3rd tank of fuel and me out of the truck. i figure once i add everything in for a weekend, myself fuel and a pass. then ill be around 26k.

tows like a dream and stops great with the extra brakes on the trailer and exhaust brake.
    Grant

14. Ponyracer

Ponyracer Member

MAN!! That's a nice setup but what about the wind drag?? That container doesn't exactly knife through the wind. Did you notice a mpg drop after you added it??

15. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    wow... old post... lol
    i just moved from so cal to PA the end of last year, towing that exact setup, but a bit heavier. i weighed in just over 26k.

hand calc was 11.6mpg. i STILL need to build or buy an air dam for it. i have looked into Semi Sleeper cab wind breaks, and nobody wants to sell me one... its odd... i thought money talked, but i guess they just dont understand.

i figure if i get an air dam for the truck, and one on the trailer, i will improve by another 2 MPG or more... but i dont have the time to mess with it.

im looking into selling the box, and purchasing a trailer for my tools (enclosed) then i can town doubles where legal, have much better access to my tools, and get better MPG. the blaer has been parted out for the most part.
    Grant