Dually or Not?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by carguy9135, Apr 9, 2007.

1. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

Here's our Motocross Rig, which consists of my 2006 GMC 3500 DRW w/LBZ & Allison Tranny.

The trailer measures 22' from nose to tail and is 7' wide. When loaded-out with 6 bikes and gear it weighs approx. 6000 lb. which comes nowhere near the trucks max. capacity but man it sure is comforting having those two extra tires when towing.

2. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

ever have a rear tire blow on a srw truck pulling 26k lbs? dually for me! yes the extra two tires suck when its time to buy tires but thats a price I will pay for the extra safety. If I just hauled a little trailer I would buy the SRW.

3. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

even with just a single car trailer my cousins 03 dodge drw is much more stable than my SRW 75 chevy

4. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

As much as I love my SRW, the DRW is the only way to go if you are hauling heavy, or have a slide in camper. My 3/4 ton SRW will tow whatever I need to tow though, so Im perfectly happy.
    Scott

5. 70Dustpan

70Dustpan Member

Dually is the only way for me. I only tow a 16' car trailer, but it tows better then any srw truck I've driven with the same size trailer. Plus ya they do look cooler. :cool:

6. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I bought a dually because I think they are better for slide-in campers, which I plan on having eventually. I will be at the limit of the truck with a slide-in camper and a 9k lb trailer in tow. In addition to the stability, blowing a rear tire at highway speed fully loaded in a SRW truck scares me, so I went for the dually.

The only added maintenance costs I can think of is the two extra tires and fixing the damage my wife does to it when she drags the rear fenders on stuff.:doah:On the plus side, I got to make fun of her when she got it stuck in a drive-thru at McDonalds.

7. Chuck Dethloff

Chuck Dethloff New Member

Any effect on mgp with dually's?

I am trying to decide between SRW and DRW on the new one ton Silverado I am about to order. I have marginally enough payload with SRW with our trailer (27' toy hauler loaded worst case scenario). But am also thinking of adding a replacement larger fuel tank for it down the road, and who knows what else...

Should I expect any significant difference in mgp with the Duramax and DRW compared to SRW?

Thanks in advance, Chuck

8. PC HOTROD

PC HOTROD Member

My 2006 LBZ DRW CC get 15-16 mpg (hand calculated) in the city, 17-18 on the hwy and 12-15 mpg towing our MX Trailer as shown in my signature.

I don't know how this compares to the same truck with a SRW but regardless, I prefer my DRW.