who makes a living with their trucks?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by Allen Zimmerman, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    yeah... that makes sense... now i feel like an idiot... lol

so, how do you figure ISC? and FSC would be a calculated guess of MPG over current average nation wide cost of fule times miles?

thanks....

2. Hauliday

Hauliday Active Member

Media:
    here is the link i use for my fsc i take that % X's the line haul = fsc then for isc it a flat 23% of the line haul http://www.rollrock.com/Fuel.htm

3. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    hmm, cool... that just became a PDF... lol

4. Hauliday

Hauliday Active Member

Media:
  5. Seventy4Blazer

Media:
    Adobe Acrobat file....
    Makes it easy to not lose.

6. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

Last Week's Road Dust And Diesel Fumes

Wed 12:00PM left Dublin, GA with 9 head of cattle went to Warner Robins, GA to get clothes packed for the week.
    3:00PM North bound to Columbus, Indiana.
    3:00AM Arived at destination
    3:30 Crash and burn @ hotel:doah:
    Thursday
    9:00am Bright eyed and freezing my butt off
    Lay over 'till 4:00 PM
    4:00Pm south bound deadhead to Hartselle, Al
    10:00 PM arive in Hartsell
    Friday
    6:00AM Southbound to Hattiesburg, MS (after a trailer swap and loading 2 horses)
    11:45 AM Hattiesburg

Lay over "til
    Sunday

4:00 PM back to Hartselle, Al ( with 3 horses)
    9:00 PM drop horses and horse trailer swapped to stock trailer and back to Warner Robins,Ga

3:00 AM Monday HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!!:eek:

grand total of +- 2200 miles

Boogity boogity

7. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

You can read all about my truck over at the dieselplace.com, service history, reg updates, AND NOW ITS AT 243K!!!! We don't have the gravy runs up here like you guys do in Tx, so to make a living you have to bust your butt!! In 2006 I was in the top 10 for miles accomplished like 46 or 47 weeks out of 52, and we have anywhere from 130-190 drivers that pull out of are yard depending on the time of year.

I have never turned in a log thats not legal;). Running 65mph you can run 4550 miles for your 70 hours, the company I haul for has 65mph loaded speed limit and empty we can get away with logging higher.

8. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

waytogo :popcorn:

9. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sure am glad I dont have to work that hard, as I sit in a Motel 8 in Santa Nella CA. on my way to San Fransisco :D . I hate California!!

10. Mr. Big Ram

If you're right along the 5 there across from the 76, be sure to try out that Pea Soup Andersen's next door.I try to stop in there whenever I go by!waytogo

11. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

YUM YUM YUMwaytogowaytogowaytogo

12. haulin-rv

This year I do not either. Too many other kettles on the fire. If I am gone more than one night a week its unusual for me now. BTW do you mean Super 8 or Motel 6? Either way, its getting hard to find a nice one those.

13. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    Super 8. where the hell did i get motel 8?

I was taking a permit load to San fran. Here was my route in claifornia: I10W, 30N, 280N, 15N, 395N, 58W, 99N, 58W, 43W, 58W, I5N, 152W 156S, 25N, 101N, 380W, 280N, chavez street.

ended up spending 3 hours on the banning scal cause my permit said 3 axle tractor instead of 2 axle p/u. great place to visit, wouldnt want to live there.

BTW, if any of you ever get down 152 past the lake, stop at Casa de Fruta. Well worth the visit.

14. cummins_47re

cummins_47re Member

I agree. If its true i feel sorry for ya!

15. cumminsgirl23

cumminsgirl23 Member

I don't make a living but the BF does. He hauls amish furniture and also has a flatbed trailer for hauling.

16. cisco

cisco Well-Known Member

Haulin

Hey there, all ya big time haulers, I have a 2009 Dodge 4500 with a triple-turbo cummins puttin out about 956 horses and and 4,382lbs'ft tq. to the ground. I am getting about 34.792 MPG while loaded. I've been afraid to figure the MPG while empty as I might have the big one when those figures come in! So I just stay loaded 99.846 % of the time. I drive about 358,625 miles a year and should maybe change the oil.rotfl If I can figure out how to make this big rig run on hot air{that I will get free from some web-sites} I should be able to get over 50MPG:stir: . I gotta go take my pills, so later fellows. I would post a pic of this amazing truck, but I don't workin long enough to take a pic!!!!!

17. originalodie

originalodie Well-Known Member

believe it or not

Seems to me that Cisco don't want to believe that some of us want to actually get ahead instead of just squeek by. I would love to be filling my log, having to make a few "adjustments" just to stay legal. Some weeks I run more hours than I can stand, but most I work a day here and there. Hopefully that will change soon. I think I am about to get another contract that will make me a real tired man, and fill my business partner's log as well. If that happens, I will be in the market for an employee to take the dodge, and a Medium duty truck for me soon.

18. Mr. Big Ram

Know what you mean, might be in the same boat here soon also! Leaving for OKC in the AM, be back Thursday morning.....;)

19. haulin-rv

Well the miles are true, and no reason to feel sorry for me! I enjoy it (most of the time anyway;)). I basically have no boss, I have seen parts of our beautiful country I would have never seen if not hauling, and best of all I make a living doing it. This summer my "job" allowed me to travel all over with my 2 kids along so they could experience the "road" and see our country. From a kids standpoint they had fun (I think:)), we visited some waterparks, saw some sites, and since we delivered to San Antonio, Tx a few times we spent about 7 days at SeaWorld San Antonio. Best part is all the hotels and fuel are a tax deductions. There may be some downsides to this career choice but the one big upside is every time (almost) I want to vacation, get a load going there and I get paid to have fun.

20. krackerjack9

krackerjack9 New Member

why wouldnt you believe that # its very realistic. I used to drive OTR and I did 3800 miles a week or better, now I did have my off weeks. But I really dont know what type of DOT rules the HotShot trucks have to follow or even if the Chicken Coups require you guys to drop in for a visit.Right now I work in Iraq where the pay is not bad considering the first 85k is tax free but getting shot and having IED's go off is no picnic either. Once you see one of your buddies is gone it puts alot of things in order of what is important and what is not. I am planning on leaving this place of maddness in April or March and heading home for good in Orange Grove,Tx
    I was sort of kicking around the idea of doing this but I really dont want the head ache of dealing with rules and such. After being over here and living with No Rules as far as weight restrictions, EPA, or speed limits its going to be a hard adjustment. Plus after seeing some Jordan or Turkish trucks that are a good 30yrs old or better and still hauling 140,000lbs or more and we now have US spec Internationals that get a bloody nose if we put more than 110,000lb on them. We used have mainly Mercedes trucks but some DA wanted that US look as in a Conventional truck. Want to live drive a Mercedes best proven truck over here hands down.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007