Check out this Semi truck ride!

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by CK5, Jun 8, 2007.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
  2. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

that was just down the road from my buddys job site... i laughed

3. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    the story wasnt what amazed me, it was that advertisement on the side of that old guy who got banned off the radio, the look on his face looks retarted

4. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

I'm just glad the man in the wheelchair was allright that could have been much much worse. and to the individual who thought that was funny put yourself in his position and then tell me what you think.:mad:

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

While I dont find it funny at all, my mother is wheel chair bound and folks nearly run over here in parking lots, I must say that the young man is lucky to be alive and in one piece unharmed.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i think its funny SIMPLY for the fact he is ok. i am glad he is ok, and it might be wise for him to get a dune buggy flag or something...

7. musicmasterstravis

musicmasterstravis Well-Known Member

the guy was laughing about it afterwards too...

8. duckmanquacker

obviously you arent aware of the inherent dangers associated with the big rigs. this shows why most truck drivers will have to drive for you when you are near them. a real driver will find that shocking, a spoonfed nondriver will find that funny. I'm sorry that CK5 posted this with your attitudes. (my .02 cents) just let me know when you are taking a trip so I can stay at home for my own safety.

9. XTrmXJ

XTrmXJ Active Member

10. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    haha lmfao

11. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ok thats funny!rotfl

12. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

The road must have been pretty smooth, it wouldn't have taken much to flip that wheelchair underneath the truck.

I almost hit a guy in an electric wheelchair myself with a loaded gasoline tanker. Had seen this guy several times crossing the road to the store and it was dark this time. He came right out in front of me from the right side and I laid on the brakes hard and the horn. He made a 180 so fast that his head whipped around like it was on a spring and he made it off the road. I would have surely run him over but his quick action saved the day. I was doing 35mph and had to explain the panic brake application on my module when I turned it in at the end of my shift.

Did another thing that involved pushing a car in N. Myrtle Beach, again with a loaded gasoline tanker. Memorial Day weekend, black biker week, 8hr traffic jam and I moved 2 miles.
    Most of the time there was a car was in front of me with a couple of people sitting on it out of the sun roof. I was beat, this was my 2nd trip in this mess and had been on duty for over 12 hours. My left leg was cramped and I had slumped in the seat to make pushing the clutch easier. There was a smoked bug deflector on the hood of this truck which was not normal for the trucks in the fleet and not my usual truck.

When the traffic moved a few feet I pull the tranny in low and started rolling...All of a sudden there were a lot of people yelling and pointing at the front of the truck. I snatched it out of gear and popped the brake valve, opened the door and jumped out to see a black Lexus against the front bumper of the truck with about 5' of skid marks from it's tires. I immediately jumped back in the truck and hit the accident button on the Cadac.
    That proved to be the smartest thing that I did, it recorded the accident. The rpm increased from 600 to 1000 and then back to idle (600) in 2 seconds. Then the parking brake applied.

I had pushed the same car that had been in front of me for hours, they just weren't sitting on top of it anymore. It was midnight and I couldn't see it anymore. The firetrucks came as did the SC HP, I feared for my life and was so glad to see them. The HP asked if I could make a u-turn on the road to a parking lot across the street if he cleard the road. The road was 4 lane with a center turn lane. I was 3 miles from the station where I was supposed to deliver the gas. The HP officer ordered me to return to my terminal in Charleston and gave me his cell phone to advise my dispatcher. No charges were filed but the officer told my dispatcher that he did not want to see another one of our trucks up there and threatened to charge the dispatcher with fail to obey a police order.
    My company charged the dispatcher with the accident and I was cleared of all blame based on the Cadac report. I was on duty over 17 hours by the time I got back, plus I had to take that whole load of gas (9,000 gal) back with me.

I was the only white boy in a sea of black and I had a full load of gas while people where pushing crotch rockets that where out of gas and vehicles on the side of the road out too. People constantly climbed on the truck and up to the window wanting to know if the tank had gas in it. Several looked at the valves and discussed how they would open them. One guy climbed on top of the tank and was about to open the rear dome lid when the fire trucks came down the road w/lights and sirens. He got down quick.

OT

13. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wait, just because people think this is funny it makes them bad drivers, give me a break. :rolleyes:

The guy went for a ride and came out unscathed, if you read the article even he found it amusing. Had it turned out worse nobody would be laughing, especially not the truck driver.

14. duckmanquacker

what you dont realize is that the truck driver probably lost his job. if the idividual in the wheelchair was hurt the driver would be sitting in jail. an incident like this one will destroy a drivers career, and make new laws against trucks of all sizes, this even includes your onetons with trailers. so before you tell anyone to give you a break think long and hard about what your going to say. driving is a privilidge not your right. I'm getting off my soapbox now but I do hope this thread makes some people think.

15. Old-Trucker

What exactly would make you think that this driver would loose his job? Or that he would be arrested and sitting in jail? Or his career be destroyed?

You must be assuming that the driver knowingly did this without concern for the possible fatal outcome...Obviously there's something about this story that you don't understand, maybe the histerical woman on the 911 tape upset you. The driver was upset but after the report was written in all likelyhood he was sent on his way.

Bottom line, the story is funny, the police think it's funny, the newspaper thinks it's funny (Why did the 21 year old cross the road?). Does this thread make me think? Sure did, it brought back memories of similar incidents that happened to me that I wrote about here. The only way that I can think of for you to be so upset over this is either you don't realize that a big truck can push things and that the driver wouldn't have any idea (I pushed a figgin Lexus with all four wheels locked), you're in a wheelchair and the thought that this could happen to you is terrifying. Or possibly a family memeber is chair bound and you're worried about them being in a situation similar to this.

A truck driver can not see directly in front of the truck for at least 10' or more. Even a cabover has a pretty good blind spot and allowing yourself to be in this blind spot is asking for trouble. A blind spot mirror can help (school busses have them along with gates that force kids to stay out of the blind spot in front of the bus) but even then people get hit when a truck takes off. Education is the key in reducing this type of accident, don't walk (or drive a wheelchair) in the blind spot in front of the truck, period. If you can't see the driver then he can't see you. I firmly believe that before anyone is issued a drivers license that they be required to take a truck safety course which should include riding in a truck for long enough to see for themselves the challenges that a driver experiences in the real world.

I could keep going on this subject for another couple of hours but why should I waste my time? In fact I think that you're so anti-truck driver that you didn't even read this far.

Old Trucker

16. duckmanquacker

my good friend I hold a texas class a CDL, have also been the Senior Instructor of International Schools Austin Campus,graduated from 2 driving accadamies, been an owner operator for 5 of my driving years. so dont tell me I'm anti trucker. you aparently didnt read the whole progression here. (which I know isn't true from your previous posts) I was merely trying to inform some possible repercussions from the incident, I don't know if the driver lost his job but others have in the past. Inocent drivers are sitting in jail from fatality accidents because the family of the other vehicle had a very shiesty lawyer. Now if you read my posts correctly you would have noticed that I was trying to support both sides. when incidents happen in a trucks blind spot the truck driver can be the bigger victom. I am merely showing concern for both parties, but irrellivent of whether you thought it was funny, I did not!

17. Old-Trucker

Super Trucker,
    If you're not anti-trucking then you should quit posting the type of misinformation that has appeared here. I read the entire thread BEFORE clicking the link, this is the way I do any thread that has links. That way I don't waste my time on trivial stuff like now.
    This whole thing is classified as an INCIDENT, (you even used the word above) and as such doesn't normally get a person fired unless the driver has a thick file of incidents and this last incident was the last straw...

ACCIDENTS are what gets drivers fired. You should know the difference between an Incident and an Accident. And to think that a driver is sitting in a jail somewhere because a family got a "shiesty" lawyer is further indication that you don't have a grasp on the difference between a crimminal and a civil case. Remember OJ Simpson? He was aquitted of a crimminal offense that could have sent him to jail if convicted. On the other hand he lost the civil suit against him filed by Ron Goldman's parents. So OJ plays golf and the Goldmans try to collect.

A person has to be convicted of breaking a law in order to be sentenced to jail. Nowhere in the write up of this incident is there any indication that this driver was cited.

If you don't find this story funny, fine, don't laugh, who cares? But don't get on a soapbox if others do find it funny and then try to justify it with all this BS that is not true or speculation on your part. Besides there's a double negative in your post.

I'm done with this subject.

OT

18. duckmanquacker

Well apparently I'm the one who has offended you, so I appologize.
    I will still hold my ground on this subject because it is my opinion, and you may keep yours. I dont hold grudges so if we meet in person somewhere I will still be friendly. keep truckin and please be safe.

19. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

If his wheels had run over uneven pavement, he would have been thrown forward and under the truck and killed.

20. Rich

Rich Member

Wearing a seatbelt?