Who Pulls Goosenecks/5th-wheels with a lifted Truck????

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by yellowk20, May 18, 2007.

1. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

My wife Gave me an early birthday present of a 4.5 " Fabtech lift for My 2004.5 Ram . I'm currently running H2 's on stock suspension. But with a 4.5 inch lift I could put my 37" procomps on . but I don't wanna do that if the trucks gonna be to tall to pull a goosneck or 5thwheel:confused: :confused:

2. yellowk20

Bump TTT

I need a little input waytogo

3. therobzilla

therobzilla Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I tow with a somewhat lifted 99 ram. Leveling kit in the front and bag's in the rear, 4wd.

It's a royal PITA to tow with a ram and have an other than stock suspension. The gooseneck alignment and clearances between tailgate/bed and the gooseneck are horrible.

And if you take the smallest off camber/off the trail with the goose, you are going to hit.

I would do all the measuring and such up front first.

Rob

4. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I have had my Dodge now for about a year and have found that the longer the trailer is the less diffrence it makes as far as goosenecks go. Let me try and explain. If your hitch is at 36 inches verses 30 inches and your trailer is 20 feet long then you have a gain of 6 inches over a 16 foot run. I am guessing that your wheels are further back on the trailer. Now if you have a 36 inch bed and your trailer is 40 feet long then the 6 inches is now over twice as long. Effectivily giving you a two to one advantage. Meaning that it makes half the diffrence that it would have made with the 20 foot trailer. I have a friend who lifted his Dodge 2500 crew cab short bed 5 inches and towes a 40 foot flat bed gooseneck trailer. He had told me that if the trailer was shorter he would not have been able to lift his truck that high. However therobzilla is also correct. The bed will come in contact with the trailer if you are not extremely careful. And oddly enough the trailer always seems to win when the two make contact.

5. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think you have to choose your pain. Do you want a show truck with a lift and big tires or do you want to use it like a truck was ment to be used and tow?? I personally would choose the latter.

6. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

X2:stir:

7. Tree Killer

Tree Killer Member

My brother has 06 F-350 psd w/ a 6" pro-comp, w/ ride rites in the back . Tows a 25+5 flatbed. no complaints other than its to long

8. 06CTDinNM

06CTDinNM Member

I run on 35's with a leveling kit and tow both 5er and GN's. I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds. I added an 8 in piece of channel iron to my frames, raised my trailers up 8 ins.

9. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a 5" lift and 35s on my ram and I towed my 34' gooseneck alot. I al rebuilt my gooseneck when I bought it since it was in poor shape and I build a new tongue that had 14" clearance over my lifted bed and the adjustable couple setup to go high enough for my truck or low enough for stocker to that wasn't an issue for me

10. yellowk20

I have plenty of clearance with My H2's right now .

I'd like to lift it but towing does take priority on this truck

Does any one tow on 37" tires ??

11. rocknbronco

I'm sure you could find one in a diesel tuner mag.

12. yellowk20

yeah I see lot s of trucks set up that way but no body who tows with that setup

13. rocknbronco

It kills most trucks ability to handle the load.

14. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4 Well-Known Member

Reese makes a 30k 5th wheel hitch that is a "low rider" for medium duty trucks. You might still have the trailer-to-bed problem tho. Goosenecks are more forgiving, and gooseneck hitches with "popup" or "flipover" balls are WAY more convenient.

15. Extreme Contracting

Extreme Contracting Member

I have a 2002 F350 Dually with a 4" lift and running 285/75/16 on and I pull a 32' gooseneck trailer all the time with it and have not had any problems at all. It rides just fine and stable.

16. cummins4x4

cummins4x4 Well-Known Member

I like lifted trucks but i won't lift any of mine because it would be a pita to tow my trailers. maybe you could get by with a 2" lift but propably not with 37" tires...make it way to high imo.

17. Loader

Loader Active Member

Media:
    I've towed with lots of crazy combinations. The trouble with towing on a tire with a tall sidewall is flex. I was towing (car trailer, not a 5th or goose) with 38's on truck with a 6" suspension lift. I had to be careful at all times.

Remember, a 2" rear suspension lift with tires that are 5" taller gives you 4.5 inches of lift overall!

I now tow a 5th wheel 35' RV. I'm up 2" in the rear and I leveled it (raised the front) so the bed rails weren't sticking up. I run the stock tires (245's) when towing and toss on the 315's when I'm not.

18. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have my truck lifted in the front to level it out and 315/70/17 BFGs on it. It has to cleareance issues with any of my goosneck trailers. The tires are the same as the stock h2 wheels. For me this is a perfect setup. I thought of going with a 4' lift and 37s but I rather keep it the ways it is. My stability is great. I had the 22.5s with 255/70 and they were 37' tall and just suck on the highway.

19. Nitelord

Nitelord Well-Known Member

Media:
    My Sportman 5th wheel was ordered with an 8 inch piece of channel added to the frame. My hitch is set as high as it will go and that works out to pull the trailer level. I usually load the trailer heavy in the front, because it's so light to start with.

Stock height in rear, 2 inch leveler up front.