What's the difference? '04-'04.5

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by BigBoyinMS, May 14, 2007.

1. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

After 30+ years of Chevy's I just bought a Ram w/ a CTD and am wondering if I have an '04 or '04.5 since the production date is 02/04.
    All my paperwork says '04 but is it? How do I tell?
    And what are the differences between the two?
    Thanks in advance!

2. kawiram

kawiram Active Member

Im not sure on the exact location, but if you have an 04.5 there will be a tag on the side of the valve cover or near that i believe that will say 600 or something. the 04.5 were the first 600 series motors, a little more oomph than the 04's and I believe they might be the first year to add the extra injection cycle.
    *I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO BE COMPLETELY INCORRECT AT ANY TIME. AND NO RETALIATION FOR THESE ACTIONS SHALL OCCUR UNDER PENALTY OF STUPIDITY.*

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    04.5's are ALL 325hp and 600lbs ft of torque. yours, by date of build ( after january 04) is an 04.5. 04's are 295hp 555lbsft. look under your truck, you should have a catalytic converter. also on the drivers side of the engine on the valve cover area near the back over the fuel filter is a HP/TQ rating sticker.

its that simply complex.
    Grant

4. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

Thanks for the replys fellas!

5. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The power ratings can be found on the valve cover on the drivers side. Like posted, 325 is 04.5. Anything else is 04. There are many differences. The 04.5 has a much more advanced ECM with about 2-3 times the computing power, more lines of code, and more parameters that can be updated with tuners and chips. The 03-04 trucks had 2 fuel injection events, the 04.5 up truck have 3. Also, the 04.5 trucks have an electronically controlled wastegate, where the previous trucks used a typical HY35. The 04.5 have a different injector nozzle, one more hole and a different spray angle. Injector bodies are the same, but the nozzles are different.

6. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

You say " look under your truck , you should have a cat. Do I understand correctly that an 04 does not have a cat and an 04.5 does have a cat? I am getting ready to buy an 04 something and I need to figure out if it has the old engine or the new engine. Please help!

7. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

From what I have learned it's an 04.5 if it has a Cat, 4" exhaust, 325 hp on a tag on the valve cover and 01/04 and up production date.