cgvw

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by sshewins, Jun 7, 2007.

1. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

I have sort of a hopefully not too goofy question. I have a 94 chevy C3500 HD with a gvwr of 15000 #. Does any one know what the cgvw might be? I'm looking at a Load Trail gn with a 44' deck and it should wiegh around 10 K. I want to haul 2 bumper pull campers on the deck so I want to make sure I'm covered. I ask because the sticker has been damaged and unreadable. Thanks in advance

Scott

2. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Figure it out yet? The GCVWR is the sum of the 2 units you have... say, the tag on your dually is actually at 15,000, more likely around 11,000 IIRC, take that and add to your trailers tag..21,000?, and thats what you register at. You do have a CDL, authority and high dollar insurance to haul legally, correct?:popcorn:

3. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

goofy pt 2

Hey there, in Illinois (not sure if different in other states or not) I had an 'F' plate on the dump and 'TE' on the trailer (I no longer have the dump). The F was good for 16,000 and the TE for 14,000 for a total of 30,000 #. I'm not sure if I had to have a 30,000 plate on the tow unit or not. My current truck is a C3500 HD which is rated for 15000 GVWR, just shy of the F plate. I wasn't sure if my truck had a high enough CVWR from the factory to legally pull it off. I had been pulled over for a few minor things and the officer never mentioned anything otherwise so I thought I was ok.

As for the CDL, oh yeah, had one since they started the whole "CDL" thing a few years back (at least 18). Insurance is good too. Thank you for clearing part of it up for me :)

Scott

4. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

This GCWR is one of the most misunderstood things to come down the pike in a long time.

It is a recommendation that the manufacturer of a vehicle determines so that the vehicle has acceptable performance while pulling a trailer. This statement is even in small print on the GM trucks towing pamphlet.

Staying at or below the GCWR means that you can expect your truck to have accelerate and stop performance while entering and exiting limited access highways.

That is why the ratings take into account different engines, transmissions, and rear axle ratios.

Also, the CGWR is not posted on the vehicle as are GWR and axle weight ratings. It is only listed in the owners manual, if you are experienced and comfortable with higher GCW, lower performance, and longer stopping distances then there's legally nothing to keep you from registering your truck in access of the manufacturers GCWR. Most state dmv's will gladly sell you a tag for what ever weight you want to a max of 80,000#. Of course nobody would pay the $1600 (SC) for a tag on a 1 ton pick-up truck.

As long as you don't bust the GVW, FAWR, RAWR, or tire WR then you're good to go with the weight tag as declared by you. In SC the tag weight is for the GCW that you intend to load truck and trailer.

Good luck,
    OT

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    clear as mud?