Trailer tire question and help

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Quiky One, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Quiky One

Quiky One New Member

I am borrowing a friends car trailer in two weeks but he does not have a spare tire. I called up the local trailer place and they have the tires in stock. The wheels on the trailer are 15" but I do not know the size of the trailer tire. The tire guy said he has two sizes, 205 and 225. Would it make that big of a difference if I got the wrong size? What size are most car haulers. This is an open trailer.

Thanks Jason

2. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

most are 205 on standard car haulers. i have them on my carson trailer and had an old 78 chevy dually on there and it was fine. biggest thing on trailer tires is air pressure, make sure they are aired up to max pressure.

3. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

Are you going to buy the tire mounted on a wheel? Can you call the friend and find out what size is on the trailer?
    If you need the wheel/tire also check as to the number of lugs and the distance between two of the lugs.
    My utility trailer has a 3500# axle with 5 lug 15" wheels and my dump trailer has a 5k axle w/6 lug 15" wheels.
    Check Northern Tool, I bought one for my utility trailer there last year.

OT

4. Quiky One

Quiky One New Member

Yep. I am going to check out the trailer tonight to make sure but I bought two 15x6 5x4.5" bolt pattern and 205/75/15 tires.

The tire guy said that is the most common.

5. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

Sounds good!!!

OT