G-56 clutch

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by strai8up, Jul 18, 2007.

1. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

Is anyone here running a G-56 trans?, and have you installed an aftermarket clutch?

2. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am and when this clutch is done I will install another SBC :) When the time comes it will be the third one I've installed and if it's as good as the other two I'll be a happy camper againwaytogo

http://www.southbendclutch.com/g56.html

3. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    The G56 has a Dual Mass flywheel, which must be changed out when doing an upgraded clutch.
    The South Bend kits come in pretty much every power handling ability and all come with a new flywheel.

How much power would you like to make, and are you just driving, towing, towing heavy (10k+), racing, a little of everything? This will help me find the right clutch for you.

4. strai8up

I don't alyways pull that heavy usually around 6 or 8 .I have had up to 14.Towing up Mt. Eagle . I want to have it if I need it ( if you know what I mean) . I will run around 400 hp .

5. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

just had to replace mine. go a nice 550 horse clutch, from TEXAS DIESEL POWER down here! much different from stock, but holds up to my crazy larry bully dog!!

6. strai8up

Did you get the south bend clutch ? Is it smooth or jerky? How many miles did you reach on the old clutch . Sorry for being so nosey about this , but there is not a lot of feedback on the change over clutches yet. The people around here are just putting stock clutches back in.

7. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Well, DC had a rash of Dual Mass flywheel failures, and most guys wanted something better, so I went through alot of clutches as you can imagine. Basically, the FE clutch will hold up to 550hp, as long as you aren't thrashing it. Now, it will buck slightly while backing a heavy trailer, but with stock tires, not really bad at all. Add a 4" lift and 35's or so and you will experience some bucking. For the ulimate, the Dual Disc is the way to go, however it is expensive and probably overkill if you plan to stay near the 400hp mark. That will be easy, with 325hp stock, you add an Edge Juice with Attitude and you will be at 400hp at the tires.

8. 06trx

06trx Member

I just installed the Southbend 3600 DD this past weekend. It went smooth , without much of a problem. I also got the upgraded hydros. The peddel pressure is alittle more , but I think I will get used to it. It does rattle and make noise , but that is what you get from a heavy DD . I only have 350 mi. on it ,so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll wait to get about 500 mi. or better befor I mess around to much.:D Over all I am very happy with how it turned outwaytogo Jeff

9. Diesel Nut

Media:
    I have installed several 3600 sprung hub 12cb clutches, and they are super smooth. The more you drive it the better it will get. Took a sled pull with the F550 to get it to fully seat in. rotfl

10. Diesel Nut

Media:

Hang on a second here.

You have a G56? Cause your sig says 4.10 gears and unless you ordered it that way I have yet to see a G56 with 4.10 gears. Are you sure you don't have an NV5600?

11. strai8up

I was told at the dealer that it was pre - ordered with 410's. It is a reputable dealer.. I need to get a build sheet on the truck. or just check it when I change the fluid.

12. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Where is the reverse gear? on the left or the right?

13. strai8up

reverse is to me and back

14. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

If the reverse is towards you and back then you have the 56. However, I was under the impression that there was no such thing as 4:10's with that tranny. An easy way to find out is to jack up the rear of the truck and put it into neutral. Spin the pinion and count how many times you have to spin the pinion gear for every one revoultion of the tires. If you are only spinning the pinion about 3 3/4 turns then I would say that you have 3.73 gears, if you spin the pinion and you count a little bit more than 4 turns then I would say you have the 4:10's. Hope this helps.

15. HogHead

HogHead New Member

I don't mean to step on strai8up's post but what is a G56?

How much power will a stock clutch handle?(nv5600)

Thanks,Hoghead

16. 06trx

06trx Member

Update on the Southbend DD clutch. I have just over 1000 mi. on it so far , and it does seem to be a little more tame. This weekend I towed my 30' camper through the Adirondak Mts. for about 350 mi. It does jerk a very little ( I think it will smoth out more as I learn to dvive the clutch better) on take off in 2nd gear , but has no jerk when I take off in 1st. I also found no jerk when I backed up in 2hi or 4low. ( I had to try both) I will pull the trigger on it after I load the perf. program in it , this week.

17. Diesel Nut

Media:
    I am thinking you may have 3.73's. The G56 has such a terrible overdrive ratio that it will seem like you have 4.10's. A G56 with 4.10 gears would do about 2238 rpms on the freeway at 65, compared to 2000 with 3.73's, with stock tires.

18. strai8up

I am due to change the fluid soon. you are right on the rpm's. I will check the ratio when I pull the cover. I will let you know . Thanks for all the help.

19. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Sorry, forgot to reply to Hoghead. The G56 is the new 6 speed manual transmission that Dodge is using. It is available in 05.5 and later Cummins powered trucks.

On Edit -

If its a G56 it takes ATF, NV5600, it takes a GL4 rated 5W30.