Toy hauler guidance

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by clarkjw24, May 21, 2007.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey guys I was going to buy a new gooseneck car hauler but the wife and I have decided that gooseneck toy hauler would suit us better. I'm looking for some guidance on what I do and don't need.

Here is what I plan to do with it:

Haul my K5 around the country. (1tons, 42s, full spare and tools)
    Carry my family of 4 always.
    Maybe 2 extra people.
    Use it for other non wheeling vacations.
    Pull it with my PSD CCD

I'm looking for advice on load capacity, garage length, water storage, generator, slide outs.

If anyone could give me some real world experience with these things it would be great. I don't mind giving up some luxury to save weight and garage space but I do want to be really comfortable. Any manufacturers preferred or I should stay away from? Would a race car hauler be better than the toy hauler?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i dont kknow of any makers out there who sell a GN hauler that will let you put a 7+k rig in the back. might want to look into a flat bed with a large camper on the front of the trailer...

3. clarkjw24

Media:
    The majority of the manufacturers will let you semi customize order one. I've already talked to the local dealers and they said no problem with hauling my k5. I've already found several models online that will carry 6k to 7k payload. The trick is to find one that will allow you to drive up and load over the axles. I'm looking at triple axles around 38 to 45 ft with 14 to 21 ft of garage space. I would love to find a used one to meet my specs and save some money vs new.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    that is going to be a tall order to fill, and finding a used one would be tough. not too many people need a trailer like that. its possible, but i think you are going to spend a LOT more money for something that i doubt will get used as much as you like, and only have one of a few uses.

i wish you luck though.

5. clarkjw24

Media:
    I agree on finding a used one will be tough. But as far as getting my money's worth I shouldn't have any problems. I live about an hour from the coast and we take about 3 one week vacations a year plus my long weekend wheeling trips, so it will get used plenty and quickly pay for its self. Rental cost for the weekly vacations range from 1500 to 2500 and the wheeling rentals around 500 for the long weekends. We have some sort of travel trip planned usually at least one weekend out of the month. Also we're planning a 2 week adventure out to Moab this spring, so it would definately be nice to have. I'm already towing my trail rig with a gooseneck everywhere I go.

I know its a lot of money but I think it would be a good investment as my children are young and I'm still fairly young.

6. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

You may want to start looking at race car trailers. I have been looking at www.milltrailers.com You have the ability to order a trailer however you like. To include a higher roof and tiedowns where you would want them. The trailers can be ordered to have living quarters or not. It is totally up to you. You can also build a trailer to suit your needs and they will price it for you. These are the folks who will build my trailer when I have the money. I have a 1985 Dodge Ramcharger with 1 ton running gear and 42 inch IROK's. Not too unlike what you are hauling. They can make it for you. You may need to take the 42's off and put street tires on it for two reasons. One, so that the center of gravity is lower and two, so the vehicle will fit into the trailer better. I hope that this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you may need.

7. hendo

hendo Active Member

thers alot of deals made to order in the south ,baggottrailerconnection.com , kaufmantrailersales.com make great trailers at a great price , i just wish they were closer to me as i would have one of theres already
    they will make any weight and size trailer you want in about a week
    i would surjest two 5200 lb axles for your application and you will know you you will proberly never overload it
    but they dont make enclosed trailers but the price you will save having a enclosed trailer made you could just put a camper on the back

8. Stock 87

Stock 87 Active Member

I'd get a C class motor home and an open trailer.
    Reason I say this is I have a 27' Dutchman toy hauler. It's great for off road trips and the likes but it would get ALOT more use if it had its own motor.

I live in Pa. and most of my trips consist of driving 3000 miles off the bat. (Do a lot of Glamis dunes) That's about two solid days of driving non-stop.

1)With the toy hauler your stuck in the truck for all that time. If you had a motor home. You (and the kids that constantly have to Pee) have tons more room for the trip. And a bathroom
    2) I don't care how tuff you think your truck is triple axle 15,000lbs trailers BEAT THE BALLS OFF your truck. I should know I wore out a PSD F350
    3) The trailer you spec'ed out ain't cheap (a 35' dbl axle for just hauling quads runs about 65k in my neck of the woods.
    4) Not all trips are wheeling trips, for them just don't hook up the trailer.
    5) If the truck breaks your stuff don't move, unless a buddy has a goose neck rigged truck.
    Theres about 40 other reasons why I'm seeling the toy hauler Just my $.02

jim

9. hendo

hendo Active Member

i agree toy haulers are big bucks and for the prices you can get a used class c with a tag along for cheaper

10. 86k30ccdually

86k30ccdually New Member

Good place to start for used trailers is racingjunk.com. I have a 40' Classic,20' living quarter- 20' garage. I bought it new last summer tax and delivery 40k. I've put a Mazda Protege 5 plenty of room in front and back. Also a Chevy short bed, real tight front and rear. I would look for a 44' trailer. Most campsites are set for a 40 length,but the newer ones are set for the bigger rvs. I sleep in it by myself most of the time. Not bad for two. Can put fold out cots in rear for kids. Make sure toilet and bath are seperate, some come with a wet bath, ie shower and toilet in same space.
    I pull this with a 86 Chevy cc dually, it is not a rocket ship 55/60 east coast 95 south fla to ny. Your truck should be no problem if you take your time.