what oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by H-Power, Apr 8, 2007.

?

what oil do you use and why?

1. Motorcraft

9.0%
  2. Shell Rotella T

44.9%
  3. Chevron Delo 400

10.1%
  4. Royal Purple

1.1%
  5. AMS oil

15.7%
  6. Pennzoil

1.1%
  7. Other

18.0%
  1. hendo

hendo Active Member

ok all of you like your oil , but what experience do you have and can tell about the stuff you dont like

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have been and Amsoil user for 7 years now, and a dealer for almost 3. As a customer, I have had mid to high hp trucks that have never had a wear related issue. One of my best friends dad got me on Amsoil after witnessing his chevy half ton with nearly 300k on the 350 crank up right away every monrning. Since then I have used it in everything i have including my lawnmower.

Since then, I have done much research and testing. I have blown many people away with the torch test on Amsoil's ATF. Very interesting little test.

Bottom line is use what you like. Synthetics aren't for everyone, some people just don't understand synthetic oils and people tend to fear what they don't understand.

As for benefits, expect less wear, slightly better mileage, smoother idle and cooler temps in transmissions and axles. Expect to go farther between oil changes and spend less time working on your regular maintenance. Also, expect it to cost LESS than regular servicing with conventional oil.

Jason

3. SubYuman

SubYuman Member

CJ-4 Rotella T 5-40

I still can't find it here in the Mojave desert, even at truck stops. ANy idea when it'll be out?

4. toterhome

toterhome New Member

what oil?

The Shell Rotella is easy to get at Sams club in a 55 gallon can.

5. Duluth Diesel

Duluth Diesel Well-Known Member

AMSOIL of course. I've run it for over a decade in everything I own.

-Chuck

6. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    Premium Blue goes 25K between changes

I use Valvoline premium blue and have very satisfying results from it. Would not change at this point.

7. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    was using shell rotella but 5,000 miles ago i switched to amsoil 15w-40 syn and am pleased so far . the rotella would darken after 5,000 but the amsoil is still very light brown , very clean looking with the help of the by-pass filter . :) it cost more to get going with the by-pass filtration and oil but i will save money in the long run .

8. PRCA Bullfighter

PRCA Bullfighter Member

Media:
    I run Amsoil 15w40 in both of our trucks and am getting ready to put Amsoil in all four of our differentials. I'm getting great oil analysis reports using the 15w40 as well. I used to run the series 3000 and didn't get as good of results but I'm very pleased with the 15w40.

Justin

9. fubar

fubar Member

Been running Rotella 15-40 in the spring / summer and Rotella 5-40 fall / winter. Always change around 4500- 5000 and always run Fram or M/C filter. Thats about it 4 1/2 years and almost 250,000 on it. [04 6.0 Lariat c/cab.]

10. H-Power

H-Power Well-Known Member

hey diesel nut, I'm planning on switching to amsoil on my next oil change coming up soon with 5w-40 premium diesel oil API CJ-4. later on I'll change my trans and rear end with amsoil

11. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Right on. On your 06 you should stick with the 15W40. The 5W40 is designed for the new motors, and you don't need to run that in your older motor. The 15W40 is a CI-4 oil instead of a CJ-4 and will work better for your 6.0L.

Also, I doubt it ever gets cool enough in HI to think about needing a thinner oil.rotfl

12. H-Power

H-Power Well-Known Member

thanks for advice diesel nut

yea i know high 60s what was i thinking :doah:

13. CainIV

CainIV New Member

How much dose it help?

Iv been thinking about puting in an oil-by pass on my truck. How much dose it help?