1972 3/4 ton 4X4 advice please

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Hardcorehunter, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Member

Media:
    The guy wants $2800 for this 1972 3/4 ton 4x4. The vin number checks out. I just fixed up my 1977 blazer and now I feel the need for a 1969-1972 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC truck. Aren't 72's the most collectible year of chevy trucks? Is this a good buy? It has new exhaust, new front and rear brakes,a new tuneup, and runs good. Let me know what you think please. I have always liked the body style and it would be restored. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. cornmarine

cornmarine Well-Known Member

those are certainly one of the most collectable vintages. plus they look cool as hell. but anyways, $2800?? eh, sounds rather steep. its kind of hard to judge from just pictures. i didnt see much rust but one thing ive always done is to point out parts that need replaced and have them subtract that from the asking price, its alot better bargaining plot than just saying you done want to pay that much. it kind of gives you ammo. to answer your question.....no, $2,000 maximum if all drivetrain is in good working order.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Is a '72 the most collectable Chevy P/U? That is simply in the eye of the beholder. The most collectable Chevy P/U for me is a '91 Crew cab 3500 SRW, for another guy it's a '73 K5 Blazer. You get what I'm saying.

The truck does look fairly rust free and all, but it's still in fairly rough shape. It having the new parts that you mention really isn't worth much more than say $350 or so. 8 plugs, cap/rotor is cheap, a new single exhaust isn't much more than $200, and brakes can vary greatly, 4 new pads in the front is super cheap and is often called "new brakes." If he turned/replaced the front rotors and back drums, fresh calipers, and new rear shoes/cylinders than I'd put $550 on the value of the "new" parts.

With the front end damage and the rest of the body fairly rough it's value falls fast for a resto project, as body work and new panels can be expensive.

I'd offer $500 for it and go up to $750 max for it.

4. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

I have to disagree slightly. If the four wheel drive (trans,transfer,driveshafts, and axles) is in good shape and hasn't been abused I would start at $1000.00. You can't replace all that for any cheaper.
    good luck on your decision.

5. pigman1010

pigman1010 New Member

collectable

I've Owned Two And They Are Great Trucks But Have Their Issues; Rust In Corner Of Cab At The Rear, Battery Box Area. Yea They Are Collectable But The Long Bed Isn't So Much Pros Are If It Has Orig. Equip It Has A 44 Or 60 Front End(probably The 44) Same In Back And A 205 Transfer Case(it's The Gear Driven Hard To Break Type) Bottom Line; If You Like It Buy It ,your Money, You'll Drive It. Just Know It's 35 Years Old And Resto Parts Aren't Cheap. Being A Long Bed Start Out Cheaper And See How Cheap You Can Get It . The More You Save Now The More You Get To Spend On It Later(unless Your Married )lol

6. Stock 87

Stock 87 Active Member

Had one loved it 72' C10 4X4 350, auto, factory air conditioning,factory tilt wheel, short bed, step side. Should have never sold it. But i'd have a HARD time parting with $1000 for that one, Someone will though, They had one when they were younger and will just HAFT TO HAVE IT.

If you were to build it as a driver the axles would need an upgrade iirc there a closed knuckle front and an eaton rear ff. both junk by today's standards. Probably geared at 5.13 with an sm420 trans Top speed 50mph, but it will pull a house.

BTW what motor I'm assuming it's a 307?

7. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter Member

Media:
    Thanks guys for the replies. It looks like more work and $$ than I am will to spend. I find real nice clean ones for $8,000 to 10,000 and one would be $$ ahead by the time you start tearing into this girl. Thanks again.waytogo
    The guy says it has a 350 in it.

8. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

Your smoking crack dude :doah: 2800 is a good buy for that truck ANY RUNNING, DRIVING , 67-72 4x4 is worth 2000.00 easy this is a 3500 truck easy by the pics buy it if you don't like it I'll buy it from ya

9. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

72 K20 . disc brake model 44 (60 was not avaiable until 78 0r 79 model year) 205 t-case Possibly a 14bolt rear
    I have never seen a factory 4x4 with the 5.13 rears ever (most eatons had 4.56's)

original motor was probaly a 350 not a 307.

alot of people prefer long beds