Super singles... come here OTR guys...

Discussion in 'Big Rigs' started by Seventy4Blazer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. larryRB

larryRB New Member

I'm another new guy and can't wait for O bar to get his wheels in order.. As his neighbor, I have a lot of hauling projects planned for his truck:D

2. O'Bar

O'Bar Member

Albums:
    Hi Larry, you made it. Nice, and I'm still working on the wheels, going from 19.5 to 22.5 with the super singles I think I need to get float wheels for the rear and standard 22.5 wheels for the front, sounds easy lol. And I'm not looking to spend $4,000.oo doing it.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    IIRC super singles are a special rim made just for Super single tires...

i could be wrong though.

4. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

74 blaz you are correct in that thought.

5. O'Bar

O'Bar Member

Albums:
    Ok its Friday and I have everything I need to put my 22.5 wheels on, but missing one thing :< the adapotors aren't in. ???? but I'm hoping this morning (fingers crossed) I heading to FL this Sunday, so not much time and if theres a problem, well who knows. And I'm not doing the super singles :< Tire size was the problem. can't find one that I can have the same side wall as the front, (I have a 4x4) so that was it. So I have 6 255/70R22.5 :> sound look nice all done. I'll past a pic when done. And Larry if you read this stop at the shop around 4 today, I hope to have everything at that point. OK later guys I need run down Mr. UPS :> Later

6. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

If you pick up a nail in a super single it isn't any worse than a nail in one of a dual set. Just air the tire up and drive to a tire repair place. Any driver worth his salt has a hose and tire chuck in his rig. waytogo

7. RockinRobin

RockinRobin New Member

super singles

they have been using super singles for years on concrete trucks and heavy haul trucks, they have just now become popular for drive tires. I think that they are about as useful as an automatic in a kenworth. I'f you can't drive stick-stick to the school buses. just my soapbox.

8. nt4me9016

nt4me9016 Member

The company I drive for uses them on the dollies (converter gear) we use for yanking doubles. My back and knees appreciate the lighter weight and the ease of being able to move them into position by hand. Some of the older dollies go about 3000 lbs so rolling resistance can make a bad back worse.

That's all....

9. nainoapak01

nainoapak01 Well-Known Member

Media:
    super singles

Not to burst your bubble about supersingles, but I have run them on powder trucks for years on semi and doubles and trains, the problem I had is when one blowes it takes the finder and light bar on the back off and there is alot of damage to what ever the tire hits as it is alot of weight to them compaired to duals, and also when one blows out your on the wheel and if you drive on it the wheel is gone, where a set of duals if one goes you can limp along to a place of repair or keep rolling. I myself would not have super singles from past experience at least on a big truck anyway. maybe on a one ton it might not be so bad, I don't know, plus I forgot they have a bad habit of hydroplaneing in the rain if you lock up the brakes. Hank:cool:

10. modockid

modockid New Member

when i ran otr i had dualls for along time as most trucks have always had them , one week i had some home time and when i came back to my truck , the company had installed supersingles , i'm like what the hell i didnt like the looks of em but i thought "what can ya do? (its there truck.))) anyway i head out on the road , and i paid attion to the way it rode . watched the fuel milage and what not and i noticed a few things
    1. the tire side walls were about 2 to 3 inches narrower than the dualls .(on each side )
    2. it felt like i was sliding on ice all the time
    3. (at the time ) not many truck stops or tire shops carried "supers" or rims for that matter
    4.the price per tire and rim combo seamed exspenceive
    5. i did end up gettin 8.3 miles to the gallon !!!!!!!!!! as aposed to 5.4
    6. man i'ed hate to have a blow out (would it tear off the fender only or would it tear up a tire, rim combo ...fender/mudflap what else could happen like flying debree hittin cars or motorcycle riders
    7. having to stop as soon as possible to have a tire guy come out with a tire/rim and replace it on the side of the hiway with other truckers and or cars(not changing lanes and possibly being druck while driving..... ect)
    8. buying newchains to fit theese "supers" and what to do with the old chains that i cant use any more ...
    the other thing is out "fleet" or trailers some were just tandom and some were tridoms or tri axles if you will .. the tri axles had slightly smaller tires
    and my drag chains would not fit (ya gotta love jerry riggn chains with rubber snubbers and hopeing like hell they wouldnt fly off going 25 mph

11. 9 second Butiac

9 second Butiac Well-Known Member

you must have had the miracle tires installed, because even the manufacturer will not claim a 55% increase in fuel economy.;)

12. Diesel Addict

Diesel Addict Member

I work at Freightliner and we get trucks in with them on. They are a lot heavier than a dually. Also we fill them with a special run flat that the company has. Personally I think it's just some new thing, I'll always be a fan of duallys.