Bigger Tires & Gearing...

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by BigBoyinMS, Sep 17, 2007.

1. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

Need some advice fellas... I'm considering replacing my 265/70R17 Michelins with 285/75R17 Toyo Open Country A/T's. Any comment on the size and choice would be appreciated but that isn't my question.

What I would like comments on is the fact that this tire will be 2" taller which (unless I figured wrong) will make my effective gear ratio 3.50.
    How much will that affect my towing? I don't tow much more than a Massey tractor on a trailer but I have thought about getting a 30' travel trailer in the future.
    Any comments will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. vrodrex

vrodrex Member

That's not enough to worry about. The cummins won't even notice, plus you might get a little better MPG with the lower RPM you will be turning.

3. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

dont forget about the speedometer being off.

4. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

Good catch on the speedo! I had thought of it, just didn't mention it. The GPS will take care of that until I get a Smarty or pay to get it corrected.

5. BigBoyinMS

BigBoyinMS Member

And I REALLY need the extra MPG! These common rails don't get nearly the milage that the older ones did. Hiway mileage is ok but I'm too tempted at the redlights to keep offa da pedel! lol

6. barbastard

barbastard Well-Known Member

I’ve got those same tires on my rig, good choice…I love them. If my memory serves me correctly jumping up to that size only throws the speedo off something like 3.5%....as others have mentioned, it’s not really enough to make a difference in power let alone the speedo read out.

7. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I'm running 285's with 3.54 gears. I only wish I had more gear at the very top of hills while pulling my TT, I sometimes have to drop out of OD to keep the egts down. Go for it! waytogo

8. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

I just put 305\70\17 on my dodge and they turned out great. speedo is off about 5 mph at 70. I don't think you will have any problems.

9. vrodrex

vrodrex Member

I'm running 315/70's with 4.10's. It equals out close to what 3.73's and stock tires would be. I also had the dealer reflash the computer for the tires. Just find out the revolutions per mile for the tire.

10. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

285s will be fine. I am running 33s and my speedo is off by 4 mph. you shouldnt be off more than 2.5.

you wont even notice

11. deast

deast Member

You'll love the open country's! I put them on my truck as soon as I bought it and it's not an issue for towing power. Great tire choice! Enjoy!!!

12. barbastard

barbastard Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the post but what is the easiest way to determine what gear ratio I have in my truck? I know some mfg's put a sticker in the glove compartment with codes indicating the vehicle options but mine doesn't have that. I know I can pull the rear diff cover and count the R&P teeth and divide one into the other...but that's a lot of work. Any ideas?

13. deast

deast Member

Babastard,

I would think the easiest way would be to run by a dealer and give them your VIN number. They can run you a printout with all the equipment both standard and optional that your truck came with. In fact, that's how I found out I have an 04.5 which was a nice suprise.

I bought my truck used and it had nothing with it so that what I did and it took about five minutes.

Hope this helps.

14. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

If you have the time and are willing to put forth the effort then just jack up the rear of your truck so that both rear tires are off the ground. Place the truck in nuetral and then turn the drive shaft by hand. Count the number of turns on the driveshaft. If you turn the driveshaft 3 and 3\4 turns for every one turn of the rear tires then I would say that you have a 3.73 ratio.

The 285's will be an awesome choice for your rig.