converting 5th wheel trailer to goosneck?

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by weblee99, Sep 22, 2007.

1. weblee99

weblee99 Member

Hello, I was wanting to know the pro's and con's of converting a 5th wheel camper to a gooseneck with an adapter. I have a goodeneck hitch in my 2001 duramax and thought about getting a camper and converting it to a gooseneck. Why dont campers come with gooseneck hitches instead of 5th wheels? Are the 5th wheels stronger or safer than a gooseneck?
    Thanks for any info. weblee99

2. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

5er are safer than gooseneck in terms of weight. I think conerting a 5er to a gooseneck adds more stress to the trailer and will voids most warranties on the trailer.

3. duckmanquacker

duckmanquacker Well-Known Member

take a good look at the large semi's you'll notice that they run 5th wheels. they are slightly easier to hook and unhook than a gooseneck. being user friendly was the main determination for the campers going 5th wheel instaed of GN. also by using the 5th wheel the camper market wasn,t limited on the maximum weight of the camper, thus increasing their proffits.

4. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

My buddy has an Alpha 32 foot fifth wheel. Converted it to a gooseneck and not to many trips out it was splitting the siding and you could see daylight through it. He pulled it back in best he could and welded big gussets on it. Granted, it is an older one, so you would think if it was going to crack there it would have already. It may have been coincidence, but it did happen right after he converted it. It was the second or third trip out I think.

5. HarleyMedic

HarleyMedic New Member

I know this is an older thread but I run a Popup RV2 5er to GN converter on my 39ft Victory Lane Toy Hauler. No problems. I hear the stand that the GN pus more stress on the trailer but I can't see it putting any more than a 5er pin extender. I like it cause I don't have all the crap in my bed or have to change out stuff to hook up to other trailers.

6. 06CTDinNM

06CTDinNM Member

I converted my 5th wheel to GN using a Pop Up adapter. My trailer is an older 90's model, NO problems whatsoever. Since you do not remove the 5th hook-up, you are still connected to the existing system that ties to the trailer.

The 5th wheel hitch is more or less a hitch for 'street' use, has very little articulation at the hitch. The GN offers you more articulation, so if you get onto uneven surfaces the truck and trailer can function better at the hitch without putting a lot of stress at the hitch. Many of the guys that tow 5th wheels have damaged their hitches just going in/out of driveways that have cockeyed entrances.

I am very pleased with the Pop Up adapter. It was easy to install, very functional. I have a short bed truck, used the offset adapter. The other thing I like is the fact that I now have a lot more room in the bed for all the other junk that we haul when on trips.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    alright... lots of info pointint a lot of diretions on this post... so why not add some more confusion... lol

5er's are easier to hook up and un hook, more of a point and shoot deal and its done. they are more stable on the road when it comes to side to side sway one of the biggest reasons you see them on big rigs.

goose necks are best for off road siduations as the trailer can move more freely. weight ratings can be the SAME between the two. that has NOTHING to do with it.

matter of fact, the pin on the 5er and GN are the same size may it be a semi or a light duty truck. its how the HITCH is built that determines the weight rating.

on older campers you risk splitting the things appart if you add a GN addaptor to it, on newer ones it may be approved for one type or another by the maker of the trailer in question. call the manufacture of the trailer and ask what they say. only way to be sure.

if you have another GN trailer this means you can store your 5er in the garage and not use it much or even sell it.

you may not like how the converted 5er handles on a long road trip with some wind gusts. my GN flat bed can get a little squirly when loaded to 25k and a bit of wind. i find mysel slowing down and watching the more stable 5ers go past me with little to no sway. BUT, i can also go off pavement and not bind the hitch NEAR as much.