question

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by 12Vman, Sep 25, 2007.

1. 12Vman

12Vman Active Member

hey guys i just bought my dads 97 12v with 468k on milage an was wondering we have put the 618 planetary in the tranny and rebuilt the overdrive unit andam wondering if putting a number 12 or 11 fuel plate and 3k gsk would be a good idea or bad, because of the milage on the truck. so any opinions would help me thanks.

-Jon

2. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

The engine will be fine with it, but the trans & torque converter may not. Your trans should already be an A618(47RE). A #10 plate works best with a GSK, other than a #0 or 100 that is.

3. 46mech

46mech Active Member

Media:
    I guess one of the questions should be, "what shape is the tranny in?" I know you said you put in a new planetary gear (I agree with nevrenuf, the 618 should be stock for that year) and rebuilt the OD, but how about the Tq converter? I put a #5 plate, 3k GSK and 215hp injectors on my 12v with a stock (although it had been rebuilt) transmission with no problems for about 90,000 miles..... that included towing a 21ft trailer from time to time.

4. 12Vman

12Vman Active Member

tranny

i know from the paper work from the truck, that amco rebuilt it at 270,000, but it nowhas 470,000 and the fluid looks good and red, had the pan off no burned clutches or any debri, but your ight i dont know the real story on the converter i know it locks up what seems good for stock, but i'd be afraid to add power and have it go out. i'm lookin at a TCI converter and building the tranny stronger.

5. 46mech

46mech Active Member

Media:
    Well, that's 200k mi. on the rebuild and if you don't know the history of that 200k ..... as far as prevent. maint. & upkeep..... you could be taking that chance. But..... just because you put those mods into the engine doesn't mean you have to drive like its got mods; thereby, preserving the tranny until you can do something with it. In other words, I don't think the $$ spent on the plate and GSK will be $$ wasted. Does the truck have gauges? If not, you'll want to do that first, or in conjunction with the engine mods.

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Just adding a VB would help the trans last longer.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Just hop it up and see what happens....

If you take off for the first time with new power, lay into it hard, and it the trans slips like crazy..... the trans isn't going to just fall apart instantly with one little slipy slipy.:D

If it won't slip, then you are good to go, if it does and you have the will power, put the stock plate back in the truck or run it until it dies and put in a Suncoast trans or something of the like.