who makes a living with their trucks?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by Allen Zimmerman, Feb 27, 2007.

1. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

I could not imagine working over there. But as far as rules we have to follow the same as the big boys. The only difference is that since we saty under 26k we do not have to due IFTA (fuel tax). Keep safe over there!

2. JNelson

JNelson Well-Known Member

Media:
    Krackerjack9 - Went thru Orange Grove TX today on my way to Laredo. There is a lot of construction on hwy 44 between San Diego and Freer. I like the new "Stripes" (Circle K). It was about time.

3. krackerjack9

krackerjack9 New Member

Well I guess things have changed while I been over here, I would have never thought a non comercial vehicle like the 3/4 and 1 ton vehicle would quailfy for a DOT regs. Oh well change is always happening. Well I am looking pretty hard for either the Chev 2500hd or the Dodge 2500 going to need something to putt around in once I bail out of this place.

Attached Files:

4. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    trucking in a modern world

I own a small trucking company. Technically we are not hot shots as hot shots were originally short haul, high priority commodities usually within a 300 mile radius. we run the same licensing, rules and regulations as the big trucks, but do it in fuel efficient 1 ton dually pick ups.

There are is a lot that needs to be done to operate legally, and while many will tell you that you can cut some corners, with the new UCRA (Unified Carrier regulations) it is going to get very tough very fast on most small truck trucking companies.

There is a lot more to it than is feasible to post on this forum, I can however tell you that I increased my sales of non repeat customers by over 700% in less than 2 years, and maintained my repeat customer base retaining an estimated 58 percent of my prior years manufacturing and transporting customers.

The trick is being fair to your customers, and really knowing what your cost are. I have seen company after company fall by the way side from lack of understanding and I have seen those who do survive, do it by not growing and just sustaining their ability to keep their trucks on the road.

I am always available to help anyone with anything to do with this topic. I would like to see everyone run legal, put illegal transporters out of business and have fun doing it.
    waytogo