Towing capacity?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by munn, Oct 9, 2006.

1. munn

munn Member

Could anyone help me with the tow capacity of my truck? The GVW is 7200lb, but the sticker on the door does not give the rating.
    Thanks in advance.

2. '05 2500HD

'05 2500HD Well-Known Member

my listing shows 8500#'s if equipped with the factory tow package.

3. racecitymike

racecitymike Member

I wish I had a better answer for you. I have always thought, "if it wont pull it than thats a little more than your limit", lol. But thats not very good advise. I would assume that you could call the dealership with your vin and they should be able to tell you. If it's an older model they may have to use a book instead of that new fangled computer thingy, but with a little work they should be able to find something for you. waytogo

4. munn

munn Member

Towing capacity

Thanks ... i'll give it a try.

5. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

I had a 94 2500 HD (8 lug) with 6.5 TD vin code F. I had exhaust, and electronic mods. the truck was rated for 8500 lbs. (4.10 ratio) but with the mods, I pulled 11500 consistantly.

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn Member

I have a 94 Yukon (K5 Body) with a 7200GVW and I also have no idea what I can tow... I would imagine that I'd be an idiot to try towing more than say 6000lbs because of the lack of wheelbase to control the extra weight... I probably wouldn't attempt to pull more than 2 snowmobiles or a single (big) quad though, no matter what the towing capacity was...

7. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

The 3.73's are going to hurt a little, but shouldn't have a problem with 8500lbs.

Suggestion: get a pmds cooler ASAP if the truck doesn't have one. The 98 and up trucks got a cooling system upgrade, dual stats and a higher flow water pump, invest in both.

8. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

The 7200 seems low for a 3/4 ton, but the way it works is: Subtract the weight of your truck with passengers and additional pay load I'm guessing around 3200 pounds. That means you can pull 4000 pounds. Now you also have to consider your trailer. This can either raise or lower what you can pull, depending on the GVW, style (BP GN 5W) axel and brake set up, etc... With that being said I pulled a load of firewood over the Continental Divide from my cabin in Grand Lake, to my home in eastern Colorado. When I got into Elizabeth, I had the rig weighed. 21,928 pounds. The trailer and wood alone was just under 17,000 pounds. The lowest elevation I drove was through Denver at over 5000 feet, the highest was Berthoud Pass at almost 12,000 feet.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  9. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

If you go to trailerlife.com and click on towing specs. it gives them to you. I think it only goes back to 1999. I know mine is 8500lbs. with 4.10 gears. With the mods I have I could tow a lot more than that. I towed a 1990 suburban on a 20 foot trailer 150 miles with a few hills and didn't know it was back there. It accelerated a little slower than empty but not much. GCWR was 15,100 and a CAT scale on I5. Climbed hills no problem. Wind resistance has more to do with it that weight I think. My toyhauler and truck GCWR is 16,000 and at 60MPH I have to give it more throttle than when I towed the suburban. Either way with a few mods they will tow pretty good.

10. ColoradoCowboy

ColoradoCowboy Member

I agree they will tow great with mods, and I used to get in this argument with my local Chevy Dealer, their side is: No matter what power mods you do, the truck frame and brakes can only handle so much. They believe (right or wrong) that the truck can not safely stop the load if it is over the GVW. This may be true with a stock truck and an inexperienced or less experienced driver. My truck has hardened steel front rotors and ceramic brake pads. (The near future will also see a BD exhaust brake) Add to this I have been pulling heavier that usuall loads the same route for ten years. I may be nieve, but I believe I can safely handle a 25,000 to 30,000 pound load, even out of the mountains. My theory is, if the truck moves and nothing breaks, the load is not to heavy.

11. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

If I had a dually I would definitely tow more. The trailer has a lot to do with it also. My truck now tows 9000lbs. no problem and with good trailer brakes there isn't any problem stopping. The ads for the new Ford go way up in towing capacity with just gear ratio's and same brakes. I know they put a tow rating by a lot of factors, but I do think they way low for liability reasons.