Please Help Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Burner718, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Burner718

Burner718 New Member

I just got a 1995 Featherlite three horse trailer. It has 6 wires in the cabling to the truck connector. Connecting to a standard 7 pin RV style on a 1996 F250. Can only get one tailight to work...no turn signals on trailer OR truck when connected. When I hit the 4 way flashers ALL lights on trailer blink. WHAT the heck is going on???
    Please Help!!!

2. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the RV style of connector, but it sounds like there is a bad ground somewhere. I like to remoove the ground wire and using a cordless drill and wire wheel, polish up the contact area and then spray some battery wire sealant (the red gooey stuff) over the ground. I'll do this once a year or every other year, depending on how many miles I go. Not a bad idea to do both truck and trailer at same time, so you know its done and done right.

You might just want to change out the wire connectors themselves if there is a question about them. Again, its cheap insurance that its done and done right.

Hope this helps, Scott

3. Burner718

Burner718 New Member

Thanks a bunch...I'll try it!

4. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Once you get that far, you'll be in better shape to determine what is the next step. Seein as they are both over 10 yrs old, you might want to look at the condition of the wiring itself. I mounted a Grote junction block/box on the tounge of my trailer. I have the 'pig tail' goin directly to the box and then a wire goin to the back to another box. Out of these boxes come the tail lights in the back and marker lights on the side. Its only a 20' equipment trlr, but I have close to 18 lights and want a few more. All LED's. Yes, I know, a little overkill, but hey - us truckers like chicken lights rotfl. Any how, with these boxes the way I have them, I can isolate any trouble that might pop up. It took me a week of work after work and had it jacked up 2' off the ground, but it was well worth it. For the main wire, use commercial 7 wire, wire (bout 1/2") and for the 2 and 3 wire, wire, you can get it Home Depot or similar. Use metal wire holders that have a rubber coating on the loop to prevent rubing through and grounding out. Hold the clips in with self-tappers.

Hope this helps you some more, Scott

5. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

make a jumper wire and test each one to a constant hot.
    the red wire is dead (i think)

use a test light to figure out wich one does what on the truck.

make sure to give yourself "PLENTY" of slack so as not to pull them out once you figure them out. keep a diagram in the trailer or truck.

google search wiring harnes for trailers

6. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I always use a tester and start with the truck. Do check the ground first.