Mega cab long bed

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Sandawgk5, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Sandawgk5

Sandawgk5 Active Member

Hey RJF dont know if you have seen this but I was browsing and found a company that converts the mega cab to long bed SRW or DRW.

http://www.innovativecustoms.net/mega_cabs.php

This is exactly what I have been waiting and looking for. I think they need to add some 19.5s alsowaytogo

Ira

2. Sandawgk5

Sandawgk5 Active Member

Here is another site

http://www.megacablongbed.com/

The black one is the one I want it even has 19.5s

If this is old news I appologize I get kinda excited with the prospect of a 6.7 long bed dually 4x4 megacab:D

Ira

3. jake

jake Well-Known Member

Awsome!! I wonder what that would cost?:cool:

4. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

For Megacablongbed it's $4500 and they keep your shortbed.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Yo! Yeah, I've seen their site before and it's a great idea but IIRC they are on the other side of the country from me and it's a pretty big expense.

What I want and will buy in a few years if they come out with it.... is going to be a 5500 loaded black mega cab on 19.5" Alcoas (just like the F450-550 Ford) as a cab and chassis and put on an 8' service body on myself.

They'll have to come out with a Mega cab in the 4500-5500 series before I can do that though. I'm not worried about the bed length, if they go with the Mega Cab they aren't going to put a short chassis in a 5500 series truck.

6. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

^^^Sweet I hope Dodge does that. Maybe if enough guys like you put pressure on them...

7. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

That makes me slobber at the mouf!! :D

8. 1tonmegacab

1tonmegacab Member

9. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

If DC produces a MegaMonster 4500/5500 it will have a decent GVW and decent front axle capacity.

10. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

They do but they don't look much different from the 3500. Thicker steel and heavier-duty front suspension and rear axle components are the main changes. The automatic trans is also different. Interiors are pretty much identical.

11. 2007CUMMINZ

What truck are you referring to?

12. BWdiver

BWdiver Member

Heard 2008 last year of the Megacabs?

13. 2007CUMMINZ

MegaMonster test drive

On a recent business trip to middle Georgia I stopped by TDR & Geno's Garage and visited my friends Robert and Robin Patton. After taking a short tour of Geno’s Garage, Robert and I walked out the side door to visit the Mexican low rider 3500. I called it that because I am used to driving a big 4x4 3500 which sits much higher. This truck gave the impression of a lowered beast. Two wheel drive Dodge trucks have always given me the impression that they would make awesome towing vehicles because of their lower center of gravity. After conversing with Robert about pertinent world events he handed me the key and said take her for a 30 minute cruise on the interstate. I hesitated and then said, “let’s go”. After turning the key I heard the familiar sound of a big Cummins and another whine which I figured out was the air compressor for the rear air suspension. After pulling out of the parking lot expecting it to handle like a tractor trailer, I soon settled down and realized that the extended frame of 22 inches was not much different than my standard quad cab long bed. The ride soon allowed me to settle into my seat. This monster drove and rode very well. Once I pulled out onto Hwy. 400 and rolled up on 70mph I did realize one thing. There was no bumping or harshness from the rear. Highways in the south are often concrete and the joints in the road filled with hot asphalt often cause an uncomfortable ride. Bumpity – bumpity-bump is what you often get. I could feel the front end hit the joint but nothing in the rear. Strangely great. Robert told me he had one leaf spring removed and the air suspension added. It also lowered the rear slightly. A new name for it, perhaps the “Silver Cigar”. It was also obvious that with the speedometer clocking 70 mph the RPM gauge was showing about 1700 rpms which indicated a 3.73 rear axle ratio. The engine still had plenty of power but it did not have the zip of my 4.10. After returning to Geno’s Garage I climbed under the truck and inspected the frame and air suspension; both impressed me. With the investment of the suspension and extension this would make a great HD hauling family wagon for those long trips out west. I would highly recommend this conversion.[​IMG]

14. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

My bags raise the rear at least 3". For some strange reason the bags inflate when I tow and if I let air out they just reinflate. Kelderman makes a four link air suspension system that can lower the truck way down and keep it there. They say the ride is very smooth over bumps but firm as well.