Tandem dually or triple singles

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Bootlegger, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

I currently have a 24' 14,000lb flatbed gooseneck and thinking I need a bit bigger trailer. Just looking for some replies on whitch is liked better, dually or triple. It would be in the 26-28' range and pulled with a 2005 dodge dually CTD.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    what kind of surfaces will you be hauling on and what kind of weather?

for anything on the highway i would go with a tri axle. anything off road a dually. anything on and off road would require more thought. a tri axle gets through snow better, but a dually flaots on mud better... a bit more to consider...

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

I would be on Interstate 80%+ of the time. My biggest concern with tripples is in stackyards and places where turn around room is limited. I'm leaning to the dually but the price tag is so much better on the tripple. I have never pulled a tripple, have borrowed a friends Dressen 30' dually to haul some equipment that was too heavy for my trailer and it pulled very nice.

4. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I would go for a dually if it was me....

5. yellowk20

yellowk20 Well-Known Member

I prefer dually....... that is until I get a flat on the inside:mad:

triples are kinda a pain to turn in tight spaces one all of our stock trailers are triple singles and there just not as nice fro tight areas as our 2 tandem dual flatdecks

6. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I like the dually axles simply cause you have eight tires stopping the load instead of six. One less axles to change bearings on whe time to service.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    on a dually you have two more tires to replace, more expensive bearings and brakes to replace as well.

my tri axle has brakes on all 3 axles, not just on 2 like most trailers. that things stops FAST when i need it to.

as for turning in tight areas, i have never had a problem with it. yeah, i get some tire scrub, but it still turns fine. i found that if i cary around a couple gallonst of water it helps to get the tires a bit wet, but isnt needed.

8. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

Most of the dually trailers put the axles about 7ft from the tail. It makes them turn like a big rig trailer (IE PITA for city driving). The extra length makes them real stable over the road though.

9. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

In the (un)fair state of Illinois, our wounderful gov has so unfairly increased the toll rate; more during peak, less during off peak, and other discriminitory practices, what do you think the tolls would be when comparing the 3 single axles vs. the 2 duals? I don't know, but I would bet its 1- unfair and 2- not the same.

Anyhow, the capacity is also something to look at. 2 10K = 20,000, 3 7K = 21,000, and 2 12K = 24,000 lbs. (though this has nothing to do with tolls)

Scott

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

sshewins I have looked closly at the ratings but if you take a tripple with 7K axles thats 21000 with a little over 18000lb of tires if you run the E rated tires, where the dually would put you at over 24000lb on tires. I know Idaho, I go there a bit being in MT) has signs for trucks 5 axles or more over 10,000lb for scales and speed limit. Same unfair c%#p 10,000 you hit empty and why should a tripple have to follow different laws than a dually.

11. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

Dually all the way ; yeah the will cost a little more with the heavier bearings and breaks.

I would go oil bath reguardless of which ones you choose.
    If you pick the tri I would make sure that all three are live axles(braking axles) esp. if you are going to load the crap out of it.

We have a tri axle that has been in the same spot for ten+ years b/c Pops turned it tooooooo short loaded and SNAPPPPED the fron axle spindle and i refuse to put it back back together to have to re-do it again in a few years because somone not payin attention to what the health is going on behind them.

12. sshewins

Bootlegger, I've been toying with this idea for a while now. Rickson sells a 19.5" rim/tire combo for both dually and single. The best part is that the rim comes with 8 lugs and would bolt right in place of a 16" rim. Why not put a set of these on? The rubber compound is different from light duty tires, have a higher load rating, will outlast the 16"er 2 to 1, and will take retreading easier. All making it more cost effective down the road. Down side? A bit more $ upfront, but if all your tires are the same (assuming you have 19.5's on the truck) you only need 1 spare which would save weight - if thats a huge concern.

Just a thought, Scott

13. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Go with the dually. Yes, there are more tires to replace but, if you are anything like me your trailer does not get that much TLC in the form of maintence. With the dually you will not need to look so hard at maintence. Also, the trailer will usually haul anything you think you need to. Good luck.
    LT.

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

Ok pretty well decided on a 28' tandem dually, 2 10K oil bath axles. Looking at a Travalong, Delta and Load Trail. Any suggestion on these or others? I was told to stay away from PJ's as they have a cracking problem??

15. scoggins

scoggins Well-Known Member

I have a 40' with 10 ton ... personally I would spring for the 12k axles B/C the bearings and breaks are a little more stout and will torerate more abuse.

ooohoohoohohooooh!!!!!!!
    you get the 12's and we will swap (HAHA LOLOL) kidding.

16. TejasCTD

TejasCTD New Member

PJ trailer cracking problems?

I have been considering a PJ flatbed, as that is what I see most of the hotshotters around Houston pulling. Should I stay away from them?

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

I like the looks of the PJ's but I'm told the tube construction is so thin that the walls crack out around the welds. I have not actually seen thisbut hvae heard it from a few different people. I would like to know for sure, they seem to be a popular trailer.

18. sshewins

The load trail has a neat option: a hydraulic dovetail. The last 9' goes up or down to load/unload WITHOUT ramps. How cool is that? No more wasted space on the deck :D. I called them and they will custom build a 53' unit. 8' neck and 45' deck :eek: . Scott

19. HeartlandDelivery

HeartlandDelivery Member

Just remember you need a CDL to operate a combined gvwr of 26k+.
    At least I know you have to if your hauling for hire, I assume it would be the same for personal use.

Other than that, the tandem dually will have better resale than triple.

20. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Been beating my PJ for 2.5 years now.... containers, tanks, you name it. Just about 100k on it and no cracked welds on it. Somewhat up for sale at the present time if anyone is interested. waytogo