need some advice

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by silver12v, Dec 25, 2007.

1. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i currently have a 98 12v with #10 plate slide foreward,banks turbine housing, coldair intake,4 inch exhaust.I'm addin 80hp injectors,3000gsk,fluidamper,& an ats exhaust manifold.How much hp will i be gettin to the ground with this setup?How will my turbo hold up?and will my pump take this without any help?

2. DieselDood

DieselDood Well-Known Member

Around 325hp. Your turbo should be fine. I'd highly recommend guages since I don't see them in your list. The turbo you have is only efficent to 36PSI, after that it's actually superheating the air and becomming ineffiecent.
    Your injection pump will be just fine.
    If your towing with that set up you should be ok, but keep an eye on your EGT guage and try to keep it below 1250*. Short bursts above then back down below 900 won't hurt (drag racing/sled pulling) but extended periods, like pulling a tralier up a long grade you can melt the tops of your pistons.

3. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

tell me about a 100plate

i have an egt guage and am addin a boost when the injectors go in.would i be able to run the 100# plate without delivery valves?I hear everyone talking about bumping or setting the timing on the pump , tell me how and what to set it to.

4. DieselDood

You can run a 100 plate without any other mods.

Setting the timing isn't like playing with a Small Block Chevy. It's quite a bit more complicated and takes special tools.

5. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

6. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

who sells a #100? what do you guys set your timin to?

7. nevrenufhp

You make a 100 or 0 plate from another plate(usually the original is used). Timing is usually based on your build, but I'd say 16* for yours

8. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

will i get alot of smoke with my setup or am i flowing enough air to clean up the fuel. I've got the housing slid full forward.

9. nevrenufhp

It'll smoke a little until you get the boost built up. It'll clear up pretty well after that, but be hazy. The EGT will also be pretty high, so dont tow with your foot to the floor.

10. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i'm usually pretty good about watching my egt.tell me about a fluidampr.is it worth the doe?

11. nevrenufhp

Fluidampr would be one of the last things on my list, but it does make the wish list.

12. DieselDood

A fluiddampr isn't needed unless your turning high RPM's. ie 2500+ for extended periods or 3500+ racing.

13. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

Would a fluidampr cut down on alot of the vibration in the cab & noise at all? Seems the 12v vibes a little more than most.

14. DieselDood

Not really.
    What it does is cut the harmonics to the crankshaft. Everytime a cylinder fires it's like hitting a tuning fork inside the engine. The Cummins engine has a harmonic at 4200rpm unbalanced (even balanced) where if it is held there it will break the crankshaft. Now...guys sled pulling commonly go past that up and down, but don't hold it there. A fluidamper helps with that type of harmonic.

The other part of that is, the stock balancers tend to come appart at high RPM.

15. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

so no fluidampr? guess i'll save that $450+ for a turbo later. which one? thinkin bout a ats 2 or 3 thousand.should i get one with a wastegate?

16. DieselDood

I wouldn't bother with the Fluidampr at this point.

I'd recommend an Industrial Injection Phat Shaft 62.

17. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

does the phat shaft come w/the down pipe?how about the ats exhaust manifold and the ats arc flow intake?i bought a set of 3000gsk today. tried to find out what afc spring kit & overflow valve was and if i need them or not.help!!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  18. DieselDood

The AFC spring kit is to help for tuning when you are running higher boost. You'll find with enough fuel if you just stand on it the lag time of the turbo increases. The AFC Star wheel is how you can adjust the low end fueling. With weak springs it allows full fuel to come on to early "flooding" the turbo with unburnt (smoke) fuel. The expansion rate of Soot is not as fast as the regular exhaust gasses so the turbo doesn't spool.

There are now a couple companies that make those 3 piece manifolds. the Arc Flow intake is nice, but not nessissary. It will help with spool up, but really it's not going to give you any more HP.

The Overflow valve is the fuel pressure regulator of sorts. Reach down and push your primer on the lift pump about 100 times, hopefully MUCH before that you'll hear a squeaking comming from up by the injection pump. If you hear that your overflow valve is in at least fair condition. Sometimes the spring inside gets weak and you can restreach it, but that is only a temporary repair. I recommend just changing it out every 100,000 miles.

19. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i already turned the star wheel to 20, but think i need to go down to around 12.my truck has 117000 miles on it so guess i'll replace the overflow valve. i thought the exh-manifold was supposed to keep egt's down and help the turbo spool faster.not much but a little.

P.S. Thanks for all the info, its been very helpful.

20. DieselDood

The Manifold will help with EGT's, maybe 50-75 Degrees Peak EGT. Spool up is all subjective on that. I have noticed little difference.

20 clicks really isn't a ton. When I talk full forward, I'm talking where you can bairly adjust the starwheel in the hole with the screwdriver.

No problem with the questions.
    You can feel free to PM me if you are deciding to order anything, I sell everything we have talked about.