rv transport?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by hottbodyz, Dec 23, 2007.

1. hottbodyz

hottbodyz New Member

Just wondering if anybody has any experience hauling Rv's for any of the companies such as Horizon Transport,or Bennett Transport,etc.
    I welcome anybody's insight good or bad into this.
    I'm thinking about getting a dually and I'm curious as to if I can make a go at that or should I look into another type of transport.

2. leaves and lawns

leaves and lawns Member

Media:
    Albums:
    i read a post little while back about that.looks like that type of work goes on down south.but i could be wrong,someone will chime in about it.

3. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    If you are doing it as an income suplment, ie you are already retired and recive a pension or something its not so bad. Other wise it just is not worth it in my mind. I did it for a short time with Quality. One way pay just dont cut it. And with $3.50 fuel all over I cant think that it would be worth it at all

4. hottbodyz

hottbodyz New Member

I was thinking as a supplement to my current income.Maybe 1 or 2 loads per month.

5. Justice

Justice Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well then it may work out for ya. But as a full time income you really have to run your tail off to make it work. It can be done, your still not gunna get rich doin it but you can get by. As just a little Xtra to do then its not an awful idea

6. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    RV Transporting Information

I own and operate a small trucking company and perhaps I can provide you some information.

Hot Shots are drivers and units that provide a 300 mile radius (give or take) service at an expedited schedule. They charge a premium for this as this expedited cargo usually is a partial load that is needed in short time.

RV Transporters do just as the name implies. They are limited to hauling Recreational campers and boats, and while many of these transporters haul other items, a majority of the time they are not insured to do so.

Auto Haulers also have a very specialized insurance and have a higher liability than do most other cargo insurances.

Horizon and companies like them are not well looked upon from the small trucking companies that use 2 ton or smaller trucks. The reasons are simple:

* These drivers are usually forced into hauling from point B back to point A for lower rates or for free. This forces drivers to settle for lower rates in order to pay for fuel and drives the cost of freight so low that Honest Legal Carriers cannot operate.

* The companies that run under these names are basically telling you to sign your personal truck over to them, they will tell you wehre to go and for how much and you can only say yes or no, and if you say no, you will make no money.

* Find a reputable small company that allows you the opportunity to increase your rates, drive when you want and understands that they work for you! They provide loads to your truck and your personal business.

If you want more information just contact me.

7. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Been doing it for almost 5 years and have made a living. Never been FORCED to do anything. I am actually heading to FL this weekend with my 9 year old for some fun in the sun, we will be hauling a trailer down there. I always get a trailer to my vacation destinations, its nice getting paid to go on vacation. The rest of the year I haul when and where I want.

8. hottbodyz

hottbodyz New Member

Thanks Tim.I appreciate the info.

9. Stroker548

Stroker548 Member

I am currently getting everything I need to start transporting trailers. I've got orientation at a company in northern Indiana next week. I am a single guy with no kids that likes to drive. It sounds like a good way to make some decent money. Yes, there is alot of upfront costs and monthly expenses but at 1.50 a mile and 5,000 minimum miles per month I think I will come out ahead. I am new to this game so I will have to learn as I go and try my best. Any more info on this subject is appreciatedwaytogo

10. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

So, do you get paid for running empty, back to pickup another RV?

11. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

It would sound like he's pullin a trailer, makin that kind of $. Never heard of a company paying that high just for a 5er or bumper pull. Then again, I am usually wrong :rolleyes:.

12. Stroker548

Stroker548 Member

I only get paid for loaded mles. Hopefully they will get me loads to bring back.

13. Reefnman

Reefnman New Member

5000 miles a month is really not worth it for you in my opinion sure it may look like you're making some money at the start but once you take into account of mantaining your vehicle...fuel...food and lodging not much left. If you are going to drive for one of the big companies (Quality,Horizon,Hoosier,Star,Jet) 90% of your loads, or more, are going to be with no back hauls but they are a good place to get experience for you. I average about 12,000 miles a month and it's rough right now with fuel and all. The industy is slow right now also...I haul for a small company out of Ca. with a yard in In. also and that's the best thing for you to do as we have just a handfull of drivers and we run all we want. Anyways...good luck.

2005 Dodge 1 Ton 4X4 Cummins Dually
    245,000 miles
    ATS Transmission

14. TejasCTD

TejasCTD New Member

Do you mind saying who you haul for?

15. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Surely Horizon is not paying $1.50 a mile!!!rotfl Better check into everything before you sign on. :popcorn:

16. haulin-rv

Don't count on it. Even if you do, usually by time you go out of your way to get it and get paid at a lower rate its usually better to just go straight back for another. The only backhauls I do are from the dealer I deliver to or within a few miles. I also stay away from used or repo type units to avoid the roadside breakdowns.

Now who is this miracle company...because no body pays 1.50!!! (unless you are leasing to a Canadian company running only Canada loads!)

17. Mr. Big Ram

C'mon now, we all know no one gets paid to run empty... at least not too where it appears outright! :stir:

18. Mr. Big Ram

They are not going to get you anything. Let us know how 'orientation" went.

19. haulin-rv

Did you quit already?? Still waiting to hear who is paying $1.50.

20. Stroker548

Stroker548 Member

All done with my classes and gonna pick up my first trailer on Thurs. morning. The back haul thing doesnt look all that promising but when I pull out on thursday i will be getting 1.30 a mile. If I make a certain amount of miles in a month its another .10 a mile. If I go east or west coast its another .10 a mile. Its gonna be a big learning curve for me since I have never even used a log book, but I am gonna jump into it feet first! Already quit my factory job that was paying me 21.00 bucks an hour to try and make this work! Wish me luck and I ll c ya on the open road!!! HA HAwaytogo