wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by Rob Knoell, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll

First off I would like to wish ya'll and your families a Happy Holiday season. I am installing 315/70/17 BF Goodrich All Terrains on my 06 Dodge dually. Where do I find the spacers that are strong enough for the truck? Who makes the best ones? Can I order them online or do I have to call them? My new tires will be here in a few days and I am needing them on the truck now. I thought that it would be easier to find the spacers than this. I know that the spacers for the Ford and Chevy are diffrent than the ones needed for the Dodge. The Dodge has a larger center bore than Ford and Chevy.

Thanks for all your help, and Happy Hollidays!!
    LT.:dunno:

2. 99dualwheels

99dualwheels Member

Trailsport4x4.com, The guy was really smart and helpful.

3. Rob Knoell

I looked at the web site and did not see a whole lot of information about them. Have you run them on a heavy duty truck? Are they stout enough for a heavy truck that gets used often? Thanks for all your time and effort. Happy Holidays,
    LT.

4. whitelinefever

whitelinefever Member

Check out WheelAdapter.com and talk to Fred!

5. Rob Knoell

Okay, after an exhausting search and looking at just about every shop or wheel company that I could find I made my decision. I contacted Sam's offroad in Tulsa, OK. They are sending me out a set that is specificaly designed for the Dodge dually. Apperently, the Chevy and Ford run a diffrent stud and hub size. So the fellas at Sam's said that they build a spacer just for the Dodge. 2" spacers are costing me $300.00. Not bad since others wanted as much as $565.00. Also other companies that I had spoke to did not have a spacer rated for the 1 ton dually. I will post up and let everyone know how well they fit and work. Thanks for all the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    correct... ford rims are metric 170mm (i think thats the number anyway... could be off) on 8. they are hub and lug centric. GM rims are 8 on 6.5 BUT are lug centric only and the hub is about 1/4 inchish smaller than a dodge.

what are the spacers made of? might be a good time to look into some balance rings as well...

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

is 2 inches not to much?? were talkin about wheel spacers right? not leveling kits? or am i totally off?!

8. Rob Knoell

Yeah, wheel spacers. They are to be used between the inside and outside rear wheels. Spacers are machined from solid steel. Studs are 9/16 inch. Two inches ends up being the smallest you will want to go if you don't want to trim off the factory studs. Factory studs are 1 3/4" long. If you want to go with the 1 1/2" wide spacers then you will need to trim off the factory studs.

LT.

9. Bullrack

Bullrack Well-Known Member

I've been running spacers between my duals on several trucks for years now. My first set was out of steel, then I switched to aluminum. I tow pretty heavy and have not any problems at all with the aluminum. When I was running 315 tires I had to run 4" spacers so the sidewall sag would'nt cause any problems. Probably could get away with 3" for 315's, but 2" for 315's is definately not enough, even if you run at maximum pressures. I'm running 2" with 285's and have a little less space between the duals than stock. Of course you can run anything you want if you are not towing. The thing most folks don't realize is that the bigger the tire, the more sidewall flex you will encounter. I guess if you are not towing like me, just disregard this.

10. Rob Knoell

Opps! I may have to return the spacers. I ordered the 2" hoping that they would be enough. If you are saying that 3" is the minumium then I will be sending them back. I do tow and I tow heavy when I have a trailer on the truck. I think that the minumium I tow is 10,000 lbs. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Thanks again for your reply,
    LT.

11. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

you will be fine with 2 in spacers....his truck is a ford, little difference....dodges can run bfg 285/70/17 on duallys all day long with no rubbing....see it a lot,now this is with bfg, but toyo might work as well....now going to a 35 in tire the 2 in spacer is good with dodges.....but keep in mind try not go to wide...

12. Rob Knoell

Well, I have now installed the new tires and the spacers and so far, so good. The tires are BF Goodrich All terrain KO's and they are a 315/70/17 in a load range D. The 2" spacers are more than enough and to be honest I wished the tries were a little bit wider or the spacer was a little bit narrower. I have a huge space between the rear duals. Only problem is that I have too much pressure in the rear tires and the only way I can lower the pressure is to pull the outside tire off. My arm is just too fat to fit between the tires.:doah: I have also hooked up to the trailer and hauled it about 300 - 350 miles now and everything worked well. As of now I have put about 500 miles on the rig and no problems yet.

LT.

13. Rob Knoell

Okay, Here are the pictures of the finished product. The truck is only 102" wide. I cannot lift the truck any higher due to the fact that I still haul a tandem dual goose neck trailer. I haul backhoes, excavators, graders, and skid loaders with the truck still.

Attached Files:

14. Rob Knoell

Okay, just an update. I now have 2,000 miles on the set up and I am not really impressed with the tires. BF Goodrich seems to have a soft rubber compound now and the tires are just not wearing like I think that they should. I have towed about 1,000 miles now and the truck handles well and I like the look I just am not really impressed with the tires. Next set will be the Toyo's for sure. I have yet to wear out the last set and I have 25 to 30,000 miles on them. Should have put them on from the get go. I am also having to replace the equipment trailer now. The neck on the trailer was a little low for the truck in stock form and now it is just too close to the bed rails and tail gate for my likeing. So, with a new trailer comes the next question, should I lift it more?

LT.

15. gbuddenhagen

truck looks good, damm good....now do you have a lift kit on the truck??

16. Rob Knoell

Thank you for the complements! Currently I have a two inch lift from Superlift on the front only. The suspension lift consisited of two front coil springs and I replaced all four shocks. I am looking at installing a four inch lift to give me just a couple more inches all the way around. The tires do not rub but there are really close to the mud flaps on the front.

LT.

17. gbuddenhagen

just coils!? did everything align well? i am considering the kore level kit, coil springs and shocks for the front.....but i might do the superlift springs!!!undecided but need do do something this month, i am going stircrazy!!!!

18. Rob Knoell

Yeah, the two inch Superlift kit is just front coils and shocks. I bought the rear shocks as well just to finish off the suspension. No links with just the two inch kit. They are not needed. You also do not need a steering arm or sway-bar end-links. Two inches is not enough to worry about it. The alignment is just fine with the two inch kit. There is enough adjustment in the alignment to make it work. When you start looking at three inch kits and above you will find that they are including new link arms, sway-bar end-links, pitman arms, shocks, rear u-bolts, and blocks for the rear. Good quality kits will also include bump-stop relocation brackets or extended bump-stops. That is some of the reason three inch and up kits cost so much more money.

LT.

19. Rob Knoell

I thought that it was time for another update. I just got back from a trip from my home town of Los Alamos New Mexico to Wilmer Minnesota and back. I ended up driving about 2700 miles total. I currently have a little over 10,000 miles on the BFG's and the spacers. No problems at all. I did find out that my toe was off a little and this is what was causing the outside edges of my front tires to wear. I had the alignment done after about 4500 miles on the BFG's. Since the alignment I have had no more problems with the front tire wear. So, my opinions about the BFG all terrains have changed for the better now. I am now thinking that the BFG's will last 40,000 miles.

LT.