is amsoil as good as they say?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by nainoapak01, Dec 23, 2007.

1. nainoapak01

nainoapak01 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have a 2007 Dodge 6.7 dual, 6 sp stick quad cab and thinking about changing all oils over to amsoil synthetic through out the truck. I hear you good longer between changes, but what does it do for the factory warranty? I have used synthetic in my big trucks and liked it, but this is my first small cummins and it has 10,000 miles on it and still under warranty. Should I wait or do it now? Thx Hank:cool:

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    You are fine to do it now. Previously, Amsoil engine oil was good for 15K miles in Diesel Pickups. Due to the new emissions equipment and the new oil requirements, that had to be reduced to 7500 miles on your new 6.7 Cummins. That can be increased with Oil analysis, but without I don't recommend exceeding 7500 without it. Mainly this is due to the fact that the new CJ-4 oils have a lower TBN (now 10) and are not able to neutralize as much acid as the old CI-4 oils, with a TBN of 12. Add to this the new EGR systems dumping more junk into the crank case, you get a nightmare for oil life.

On Gear oils, I like to stick to double the factory recommendations. Any longer than that, the oil will still be in great shape, but there is no way to insure there is no water contamination over that long of a span of time. If you drive long trips or tow heavy this will not be so much of an issue.

As for the Transmission, your G56 takes ATF. Amsoil ATF has a service life of 100k miles. However, with time, condensation can build up if the transmission does not get heated up often and for a long enough period of time.

Basically, if you do frequent, short trips with it, condensation can be an issue. However, if you tow and take long trips, the gear cases will get plenty hot enough to help get the majority of that condensation out.

As for how good Amsoil is, I think its the best stuff available. I use it in everything from the Drag truck all the way down to the generator for my 5th wheel, and even in my shop compressor.

3. nainoapak01

nainoapak01 Well-Known Member

Media:
    amsoil

If I change over to amsoil and you say the rear end can go twice as long between service will dodge honor the warranty if not done every 15000? Yes I do use my Dodge for towing heavy and long trips, I have a 40 ft tri axle gn flatbed trailer and a 33 ft terry pull trailer . i"ve heard good things about amsoil and will more than likely change. I don"t have a big rig anymore but I am a driver and most of the companies I drive for all ready use synthetic oil, I don"t know what kind. I will join the pc club to save money, but is it still green? it"s been so long since i seen any,(money that is) ha ha! Thank you for the info, do I join the pc club thru you or on line? Hankwaytogo

4. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Diesel Nut, how does amsoil do with that bypass oil filter, the FS2500? How much further can you push between changes?

5. Duluth Diesel

Duluth Diesel Well-Known Member

With a bypass filter like the FS or the AMSOIL bypass system these trucks have easily gone 30k and beyond with a filter change and oil top-off during that interval. Doing oil analysis is also important when running long intervals IMO.

-Chuck

6. silver12v

silver12v Active Member

i've heard royal purple is good to, why is amsoil better?

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline for all intents and purposes are basically equal in quality. The nice thing about Amsoil is the huge variety of products and their stuff is the easiest to get.

8. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Some food for thought -

I used Redline myself for about a year. When I switched to Amsoil I picked up a solid .5 mpg and my truck idled smoother. That was my 93 Cummins. I have been a user ever since, and after a while became a dealer. I sell the stuff because I use it and truely believe it is the best stuff available.

9. pete37922

pete37922 Member

i use Amsoil in my 2006 f-350 powerstroke !!!

10. cloudwalker

cloudwalker Member

guysamsoil@dishmail.com (gloudwalker)

Trust me "Amsoil is as good as they say" I'm so happy with it I became a dealer 2002 and all my family,friends Etc. are smiling too.
    changeing to Amsoil,you can't do it soon enough.
    Keep in mind that New Trucks come with synthetic oil in then (trans, differential etc.)so there you have it
    my 1992 cummins 280 hp, 188,000 Miles, filter changes @ 10,000 oil in it right now has 23,000 miles on it and with FS 2500 filter on it probably won't change the oil again,just clean filter top off W/Fresh oil.
    Gotta love it.

"Happy Trails"

11. 05HDRAM

05HDRAM Member

Just my opinion, but I would wait until 20K to switch to synthetic unless you have been towing heavy for most of those miles. I know many people say there is no issue switching earlier - again, this is just my opinion. I think Amsoil is a good choice if you do synthetic.

For the differentials, the dealer will give you a hard time if you do not follow the 15K drain interval in the diffs. There does not seem to be any pattern of problems, and many including myself extend that interval higher than 15K.

12. Shifty

Shifty Active Member