Are you guilty of destroying our business?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by dodgerep, Nov 22, 2007.

1. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Sent you a pm

I am not insulted at all. It just bothers me when people voice opinions in a public forum about something they have never done. I do understand that you are a transporter, but were you ever leased to one of these companies? You are also making the assumption or at least leading others to believe that most drivers that do not get a back haul look to illegally transport something back. I can tell you in the 5 years I have been doing this I have never met a driver that was hauling something back illegally off a site like Uship. Myself I don't do much at for back hauls at all, I just go back and grab another. BTW you are also off in the rates.

2. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

3. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:

4. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

I looked it up on the FMSCA site, section 383.91 in your book states:
    ยง383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups.
    (a) Vehicle group descriptions. Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:
    (a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A) โ€” Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
    (a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) โ€” Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.
    (a)(3)Small Vehicle (Group C) โ€” Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

Am I still misinformed? I believe this is exactly what I was stating? Please show me proof otherwise and I will agree with you. If not I was not misinformed. I did check out your new post, pretty impressive biography, not sure how that helps any of us on this forum. This will be my last post on this issue as I'm sure we have beat it to death. Again I don't know it all and will never claim I do!

5. 96psdiesel

96psdiesel Member

Ohio DOT

reguardless of the arguement, i'm a licensed class A CDL holder in the state of ohio. to simplify, you have to have a class A if the combination vehicle(truck and trailer) GVWR 26,001 lbs.or more, or the towed veh is in excess or 10,000lbs. Class B is a single veh. over 26,001 lbs. Class C is any veh not defined by Class A or B, but either is designed to transport 16 or more pass. including driver or is placarded for HAZ MATL's and any school bus less than 26,001lbs GVWR designed to transport less than 16 pass. including the driver.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    does this apply to personal use as well? for example, when i moved accross the states i drove the entire way through OH, and NEVER once got stopped. i was over GCWR for my truck by 2,000 lbs, but still under 26k.

7. 96psdiesel

96psdiesel Member

i was just writing the law how it written for this particular state. if your truck/trailer is plated for commercial use it applies. did you go through any weigh stations? there not going to pull everybody over, i've never been pulled over in this state even when driving tractor trailer. The only thing i've noticed is that unless you give them a reason(looking like your grossly overweight or your vehicle is extremely unkempt or in poor condition)you've got nothing to worry about.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i drove cross country and didnt stop at any weigh stations. i was over weight at one toll, and i just kept going though... lol:stir:

9. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

I own a Trucking Company and my insurance is under writen by Progessive, $1,000,000.00 policy. If I want to run over 300 mile radius they will cover me, it just costs more money.

I can legally run over 300 miles without a USDOT number as long as I'm running INTRASTATE, if I cross state lines then I need a USDOT number.

10. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Who do you get your cargo insurance from???

11. Super Trucker

I run dump trucks, a load value runs $250.00 to $2500.00, so I don't carry cargo insurance. ;)

12. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter what the value of the load is, how do you get away with it? Been noticing the ratty local dirt haulers around here, no numbers on the POS's, stuff falling off, no current IFTA decals, so..... tires bald as a babys ass. Hell, maybe I'll just buy a couple of ratty trucks myself and when one breaks just sell it too julio and crew and jump in another one! :popcorn:

13. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

I drove for a fairly big paving contractor for 9 years in Lake & McHenry Counties in NE Illinois and because we hauled our own product (asphalt) we didn't use MC or DOT #'s. Now had we been 'for hire' ie: brokers, we would've had to have #'s. At least thats what I've been told. Landscapers are like that too. I've seen some with numbers and some without. I guess it might have something to do with who your hauling for and your status as 'for hire' or not. Just guessing on this one.

14. Super Trucker

MR BIG RAM do you even know the difference between 'cargo' insurance and PL&PD insurance? I carry 1 MILLION DOLLARS of PL&PD insurance, but if I damage the CARGO I'm carrying I'll eat that cost.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  15. HeartlandDelivery

HeartlandDelivery Member

I also run Progressive, and have an unlimited mileage radius. Progressive does NOT offer conventional cargo insurace, though. I have mine through a seperate carrier.

Progressive does have restictions that state you can not haul raw steel. You can run the finished products, but not raw steel.

I took the time to get MC authority, USdot #, and all proper licencing and insurance.... PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!

It kills me that I am struggling to get by, but guys are running illegal and thriving because they dont have the overhead. I only hope that it will catch up to them.

16. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Thats one reason that holds me back form wanting to get into hot shotting is all the guys doing it under the table and making a killing. I realize more and more industrys suffer this over time but one would think those great politicians we vote in would help a working man(or woman) out.

17. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I know how you guys feel. I am a roofing contractor in South Florida and am constantly loosing work to guys that pirate the business. If I didn't have to pay the insurances that I pay I could make a killing.

18. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Most of em do shoddy work as well or dont complete the jobs dont know how many news specials I have seen on that one.

19. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:

The law is very clear that any combination of vehicle and trailer that has a GVW of 10,000 or more is a commercially rated vehicle. This applies to landscapers, contractors and etc.... They get away with it because they are not honest, legal or ethical.

There are laws, handbooks, and DOT offices that people can call to find out, but they do not do the homework and it will not effect them until they kill someone or themselves.

20. HeartlandDelivery

HeartlandDelivery Member

Yeah, I was talking about "For Hire" Guys that cross state lines. Anytime you do that, you have to be running under SOMEONES authority. Nearly all companies that are hiring the loads out do not provide that authority. In this case, you have to have your own MC number and DOT #. Having an MC number now means you will have TRUE commercial trucking insurance, not just courier commercial insurance like state farm or so many others would offer.
    Progressive does offer trucking insurance, but there are a LOT of stipulations that you have to watch for. Such as, if you have a gooseneck trailer, you are limited to a 300 mile radius. Doesn't matter what the GVW is, just that it is a gooseneck.

If you are running for hire without your own (or someone else's) MC authority and are crossing state lines, YOU ARE ILLEGAL!

If you are not paying AT LEAST 200-500 a month for insurance and are hauling for hire interstate, you ARE ILLEGAL!!

This is one of my biggest pet peeves , and I am sorry to vent.