6.5TD vs. 6.0 Gas

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by jepj2000, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jepj2000

jepj2000 Member

I'm new to diesels and I currently have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L and was wondering how the 6.5 would compare to that in terms of towing?

I'm wanting something that gets better MPGs than my 6.0 but can't afford a big fancy new Duramax.

I would get either a 2500 Suburban or 2500 truck, '96 and newer, is there a year or years better than others?

Also what would be the top 5 mods within a $3K budget you would do to your 6.5TD to help with towing and MPGs?

If there is another good forum to look at please direct me in that direction.

Thanks,
    Rankin

2. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

Dieselplace.com is another good forum. I have never towed with a 6.0L so I can't say how it compares. My buddy has a 1999 vortec 454 and his mileage sucks. He only gets about 6 towing and I'm getting 10-12 towing 9000 lbs. But best place is dieselplace.com. They have more people.

3. jepj2000

jepj2000 Member

Thanks for the reply, I have already been there and posted the same question there.

It came down to the 6.5 getting better MPGs over the 6.0 but the 6.0 would be able to tow better up hill. As I have never towed with a 6.5, I know that to tow up big hills the 6.0 realy pushes the rpms to try and maintain speeds.

I really like the sound of MPGs and I really don't tow that often I don't think it would be that big of a deal. I now have to try and find a 3/4 ton, 6.5, 4x4 Suburban with LOW miles.

Thanks,
    Rankin

4. 1999GMC

I thought I saw it over on that forum too. I had a 350 suburban and it wouldn't tow our toyhauler very well on hills. I was told by a few people I don't want a 6.5L. Me, being a chevy guy bought one anyway. The Duramax was out of my price range. I don't know if I got lucky or I just got a good one. But with the mods I have done it pulls our 9000 lb. toyhauler pretty easy on the hills. And I have weighed it at a truck scale. I don't ever see myself going back to gas. My duddies 454 is at 4500 RPM pulling his trailer up Blue Canyon at 45 MPH. I am at around 2500 in Drive with converter locked at 55-60. I really like my 6.5L. No it's not the fastest but with my mods it does really well. The other thing is wind resistance of the trailer. I towed a 1990 Suburban back from San Jose, CA to Sacramento and you didn't even know it was there. On the Altamont Pass it only came out of OD once and maintained 60 mph easy. I could accelerate if I wanted. I stopped and a CAT Scale on I5 and weighed it and truck and trailer was 15,120 lbs. Hope this helps a little.

5. jepj2000

jepj2000 Member

Yeah thats how I'm looking at this, both the 6.5 and 6.0 may not be the fastest trucks out there, but when my 6.0 is @4500 and only keeping it at ~50mph and getting bad MPGs all the time or I could have a truck @2500 keeping it at ~55-60mph and getting much better MPGs all the time. I say thats a little better over all to me.

Even if the 6.0 can pull a load up a hill a little faster, I don't pull enough to justify that extra speed at the cost of the really bad MPGs. I would rather have steady and efficient rather than slow and fast and not efficient.

Thanks for the info.

Rankin

6. 97powerstroker

97powerstroker Active Member

just get a 97 powerstroke and be done with it,you can get one in great condition for 10k and maybe less,the 7.3 will walk all over the 6.5.and they sound alot better doin it.:pimp:

7. 1999GMC

Yeah. I don't think so. My buddy bought a 1996 Powerstroke and he walks all over nothing. I have a 25 foot toyhauler with 2 4X4 quads, a sport quad, and a kids quad. He has a 26 foot toyhauler with 2 sport quads and on hot days I am pulling hills faster than him. The first 3 trips he was sitting on the side of the road with sensor problems. Granted we have all that fixed now, but it still isn't a powerhouse like people talk about. He thinks now he is having injector problems, idling wierd and seems to be kind of high EGT. But one of his injectors is what 4 of mine cost. I thought for sure he would walk from me on hills when we were towing. No. Not the case. I'll stick with my 6.5L

8. jepj2000

jepj2000 Member

I have test driven some '95-'97 powerstrokes ranging in milage from 98,000 to 210,000 and none were that impressive. While I would love to have a white '97 F250 CC/SB, but finding that truck with under 100,000 miles and that has never been pulled hard is slim to none.

A 6.5 may never be able to be tuned and built to a black smoken race truck like some 7.3's can, but it can be tuned and built to be a strong, efficient running oil bunner.

Thanks,
    Rankin

9. 1999GMC

My buddy removed his cat. and muffler, and installed the 3" downpipe, and his exhaust temps hit 1100 degrees post turbo now. You can mod the powerstroke more than a 6.5L but wth the mods I've done a powerstroke does no walk from me. We went up to the Sierras for Thanksgiving and I pulled our toyhauler, probably close to 10,000 lbs. up 6-7% grades at 55-60 no problem, I was about half throttle. I would like to do the reflash/chip, but my truck is pulling really well without.

10. bowes seal fast 85rc

bowes seal fast 85rc Member

heres what my 6.2 gets

but take note i have heavy up graded my 6.2 and left out that in the end i have spent about $2300 in up grading and rebuilding it my self on top of the $500 i payed for the engine. and it in a 1979 k20 with a 203 doubler(all wheel drive all the time, u can mate a 203 range box to the front of anther 203 t-case.) its a great handling truck in wet weather or snow.

i have a turbo charged 6.2 running 6.5 injectors gm5 turbo with no intercooler running 20 psi of boost with a methenal injection and i can cherp all four tires quit ez on wet pavment in strait gear (meth 6.5 turbo, th400, 203 doubler). been using it as my daily driver all summer avg. 23 to 26 mpg on the highway, drops to 18 to 16 in city (3.73 gears on 35'' bfg m/t) runnig 65 down the inter state i can usally keep the egts down around mid 850 to upper 925. the 49% methenal and 51% water formal i run helps a lot on the in lower egt's and the increased fuel mileage. been running this set up all summer and have logged a little over 15000 miles with no problems, but i also drive like i have a brain, ez on the gas and dont put my hole foot in it till after its in second gear (trying to be ez on the trans and t-case). my wife loves driving it cause she says it hauls (us ur mind buts not the word she uses). but i also repaced the factory head blots with arp's stud kit for the 6.2, along with a set of high torck head gasket, but long story short if u do get the truck and u get conserned with the egt's getting to high, look in to a meth injection kit, snowperformance makes several good kits to look at or u can do what i did and just order the pump and the injection nossle from them, and get ur own tank (mine is a 14 gal. tank) and build it ur self there r many oppitons to what u can do to lower the egt's methal injection just one of the ezer ones. best of luck in ur desision.

11. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    The only thing i can tell you is that if you did get rid of your lift and tires on your current truck you would pick up some MPG's. My bro had a 6.5L and had a ton of problems with it. The 6.0 is a good motor but with 35's and what not on your truck it really loads it down. I say take off the lift and sell it on craiglist with the buyer giving you factory parts and put some 265's on it and you'll be getting at least 15-16 MPG's on the interstate. Either way you'll have a nice Tow Rig and i would definitely stay away from a 7.3L from the 90's. Good luck with your decision.