10 ton hydraulic dump

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by strictlyv8, Dec 12, 2007.

1. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I would like to increase the dumpimg capacity of the hydraulics of my dump trailer. It is a 10 ton dump with a single piston. Do any of you guys have trailers with stronger dump systems. Any help will be appreciated.

2. az-k5

az-k5 Active Member

You can put in a larger diameter piston, but you don't want to overpower the bed and tweak it if it is truly overloaded. Is yours slow, or just won't lift it?

3. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

Some times it won't lift. I'll use a jack to help it get up about six inches then it will go.

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Member

If this is a new problem maybe the hyd bypass valve is getting weak??? I have seen some BIG dupm trailer with two cylinders mounted in the sissor lifr assembly.

5. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Some of your problem may be because it is a scissor lift. On larger rigs the ram is mounted straight to the bottom of the bed. For instance, no levers or cantelevers.

6. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

I know that this thread is two months old but I have a question, is this in fact a scissor lift or a cylinder attached to the frame with the ram attached to the bed at an angle?

If it is the latter then a simple way to help is to increase the angle of the cylinder by welding another mount a couple of inches lower. That way it expends more energy pushing the load up than forcing the bed back on the frame. You must make sure that the new mount is braced well to handle the load.

If it is a scissor lift then a small short stroke cylinder ridgidly mounted to the front of the frame with the ram free but pushing the bed up a few inches will get the load dumping to the point where the lift can take over. This helper cylinder should be connected in series with the main hydrraulic line to the main lift cylinder. When the hoist is operated the smaller cylinder would begin to raise the bed as the pressure increased untill the small cylinder would reach the end of it's travel. At that point 100% of the hdraulic pressure should be applied to the main lift cylinder which should be able to lift the already elevated bed.

In either case the fix is keeping in the design parameters of not bending or breaking any parts of the frame or bed. Plus neither one would require any extra work to raise the bed.