Rear axle swap

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by 97fltbed, Nov 16, 2007.

1. 97fltbed

97fltbed Member

Hey guys just scheming on how to switch to 3.54 gears for cheap. So far from talking to the guys at work it sounds like it is going to be cheaper and easier to change out the whole damned axle. I have been looking on ebay and have found a Dana 80 w/3.54's out of an 01. My question is how difficult is it going to be to adapt the disc brakes to my older drum brake system? Should I stick to looking for a unit w/ drums? :stir:

2. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Wow nobody posted but if you still want to know the later disc brake housing has a different bolt pattern at the backing plate flange so adapting disc's to an earlier housing is alittle bit more of a job than just bolting things up unfotunately.

3. funcruise

funcruise Member

Media:
    I would think if you are going to exchange the whole axle housing and all than the discs will be already on the replacement one and should just be a matter of pluming up the brake lines.That is if the mounts for the springs are the same and the driveshaft fits....

4. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Your right. I did not read into it clearly[​IMG]

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Should be a problem, I'd jump on an axle with disc.