uShip.com how can they do it?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by leaves and lawns, Dec 31, 2007.

1. leaves and lawns

leaves and lawns Member

Media:
    Albums:
    i have been watching uship for the last 3 weeks.how can these guys do it? diesel is 3.51 a gallon.i seen one guy said he would tow a boat from CT to FL for 600.00,fuel would be that much at least. am i missing something :dunno:

2. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

I would have to guess that they do a "back-haul" thing. That guy is probably bobtailing back somewhere and that would cover his/her fuel. Meanwhile it drives the rates down for everyone else.

There is another site that they ALL know about backhauls. Its almost a down-right miracle to see near $1.00 /mile at that place. You'd have to have a 53'er to put all the stuff on you'd need to get what you need to make ends meet.

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I don't know. My buddy is shutting down is car transport business. Hes down to 1 driver and giving him a chance to find something else before closing the doors. Had enough with fuel cost and freight brokers.

4. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I just got an email from Sunny at Giddyup. She said she's losing loads left and right to the cutthroats at uship so she can't use me. :mad: :mad:

I'm going to stick with CDS until something else breaks.

5. fabtoys

fabtoys Member

I've got a couple of runs froms U-Ship and seemed to work out but some guys just go way low and people go cheap .I didn't want to go from san francisco to LA deadheading so tried to find somethin to take one guy want 2 cars 1 running 1 not taken 350 miles for $200 for both. So $200 is fuel there then some other guy bid $150 and I lost out . U-ship also takes like 10% .But 2 other tows worked out great would recommend if you need some cash go look there .

6. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

UShip is full of it when they say they are not brokers. Then why do they get paid before the poor carrier always does? Tim said they make like 125,000 a day on their commissions. I occassionally try to find something that "may" be worth my time by looking at thier Ebay links and try to contact them that way.

7. Mr. Big Ram

Why even bother with 30 CPM, costs me around 50 cpm just to start my truck, you are legit, correct fabtoys? ;)

8. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I wanted to get started hauling thought uship would be a start. The way people bid there it doesn't even cover expenses.

9. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    you cant do just one load. you have to stack loads and get like 3-5 loads in one trip to make it profitable. we hauled beams from denver to grand junction last month and that paid our beer money in salt lake. we did it just cause we were goin to salt lake. it wasnt just to haul randomly.

10. Mr. Big Ram

3-5 loads off Uship gouing the same direction??!! rotfl Brandon, are you one of those illegal haulers off of there? S-10, 34' GN, come on now!!:doah: :popcorn:

11. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member

Media:
    yeah right like i could two a 34' GN. and technically you can haul anything you want on there, unless it requires a permit. they dont ask for DOT and MC numbers. I dont haul anything with my vehicles but you have to be willing to go places to make money. obviously you can find 3-5 things going to one place and haul them at once, but sometimes you can find stuff that goes from your destination to the next town over and things like that. but you have to take time looking and get the bid, and not be to picky about what it is and be willing to dead head a little. my buddy made 4500 dollars off uship in a week while hauling for another guy. but legally you should be insured licensed and have your #'s.

12. 9 second Butiac

9 second Butiac Well-Known Member

the way I see it when people haul back for pocket change, do they not think there time is worth something. my rates are high for my hotshot truck, but hey my customers are happy to pay for reliable service. if I can't get a min. of 50% of what I charged to haul it there,for the same customer, 75-80% for a different customer, that other load will sit there because there is another load sitting in charlotte for me to pick up., I don't have time to BS around. my per mile rate is set for me to dead head home.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    U****... I mean USHIP

I have had a problem with USHIP since day one. The only redeeming quality to the site is it is a free place to get your name out. I also hate the term back haul!!! mY BACK HAUL rate is 5.50 per mile as it cost more to drive in reverse.

You should make the same money in any direction. To whore your truck and service out for fuel cost is STUPID and shows how unqualified you are to be out here running. I understand bidding .90cpm for a single jet ski or a load that is less than 1,000 pounds, because your fuel cost is 1/2 or less of a normal full load, but other than that???? It cost me 750 a month for insurance, and then with maintenance and licensing, permitting and business cost, it cost me .58 cpm to pay for the truck and maintenance, and I deserve to make no less than .50cpm for pay and don't forget the dead head that is going to follow each load in this industry.

If you are selling out, then I am sure you will go broke or quit eventually, I have seen alot of good people with good intentions go broke because they sold out.

Stick to your guns, the only reason brokers and customers hold out for .50 cpm loads is because they have been told that some people will do it cheap, and they are playing those guys for the fools they are.

Say no to Cheap freight... Say yes to getting paid for your time, wear and tear and service!!!