Advice needed and more importantly WANTED...

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by wi_saint, Feb 3, 2008.

1. wi_saint

wi_saint Member

Media:
    Hello All,
    I am looking at the possibility of doing my start-up, and I am wondering about equipment requirements, accessories, and load capabilities in south-central Wisconsin (ChicagoLand area)

I own a 1986 F350 quad cab, longbed, duallie, 6.9L IDI.
    Can this truck be utilized to sign on with anybody? I would love to have a new(er) truck, but would like to use it to get set-up and running and then upgrade.

When I buy my trailer, I will get a '35-40 ft. and I will be full legal commercial.
    Should I get bumper hitch, or 5th wheel setup?
    What about drop deck 5th wheel?
    Who makes the best 5th wheel hitch? If that is how I should go.

I have an insurance quote of just under 5K for a year. Is this fair?

For efficiency, does anybody here run the Fitch fuel catylist and/or the FS 2500 filters? I have thought of running a local filter set-up (Harvard in Evansville)

2. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Never going to work with that rig, its just too old.

3. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

[/quote]Get with the times, that thing will never work in this line of work! And insurance, you'd be lucky to get what you need nowadays for less then $700/ month to get going. Check out these 2 sites and see if you still want to do this. www.hotshothauling.com and www.ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org

4. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...

... another thing, we have a little saying that goes like this " If you want to make a small fortune doing this, make sure to start with a big fortune !!!!":stir: Do have my 40' PJ trailer up for sale, which is about the minimum you will need to be able to run somewhat efficiently.

5. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

you need to lease on with a big company and use their dot #s and insurance....your truck will never make over steep grades pulling a 40 ft gooseneck trailer with a 4000 pound plus load.....you need a 5.9 cummins dodge or 7.3 powerstroke(turbo).....if you look on ebay you can find some but you will spend some $$.....but yes you need a newer generation turbo diesel drw....this work will break you if you dont manage your income, but it is fun when you are making money and not overloaded....if you need some advise or have questions just email me or reply here.....J NELSON is the man that can answer a lot for you....he is on TOWRIG...

6. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    Things not to do as a Hot Shot or Trucking Company

I have owned every kind of trailer you can think of from 20 utilities to 53' enclosed. My first recommendation to anyone wanting to do this is not to buy a trailer. Keep your registration under 26,001 and you can and will make money. buying a trailer unless you are a local hauler or single state hauler, is a sure way to run your operation cost overboard.

7. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Very true.

8. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

How did we ever make it anywhere without these modern engines? I’ve hauled 80K with ’64 Pete 220hp Cummins, 10spd and geared for 60 MPH max. I’ve driven city tractors with a 352 gas engine and 5 speed and 2 speed rear. Were they fast or pretty? No but they got the job done. Yes the newer trucks make things easier but I ran a ’85 Ford F350 NA6.9 and a 4 speed transmission and 4.11 gears. It went up every hill, slowly but made it over every one.

9. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

The customers would more than likely see something they think will make the trip in one piece. You will save more money in the long run with something a bit newer, it doesnt have to be brand new. Cummins are the cheapest and the 5.9 are pretty darn good other than that I would look for a 7.3.