Multi boat hauling need trailer HELP

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by unidos, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

I would think you can get by with the ball tower arrangement, looks like you already have a winch on the trailer. Shouldn't be too big a deal for someone thats knows what a welder is for. Got you beat... my dually and 40' GN come in at 18,500# empty. So, whats the trailer itself weigh?

2. unidos

unidos Member

I called applichian and they tell me its 11,500 empty. I took it to a scale at the dump and it showed 16,500, lol maybe that 6 was an 8 cause I know my truck doesnt weigh 5000lbs

3. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

4. unidos

unidos Member

thanks I'd love to have it but I don't have a place to put another trailer.. I think I would need a hauler body to use that.

5. haulin-rv

haulin-rv Well-Known Member

Or just go with a non lo-pro trailer.

6. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

Back in 1976 I worked at a boat dealer in SC and regularly hauled boats out of Clearwater, Fl using a 1974 F-250 and a 26' trailer. I built a rack on the truck on which I could load a 20' boat, motor, and trailer plus 2 16' boats on the trailer. The smaller boats usually didn't have trailers since we could buy them new when we got the boats back.

Also did a couple of trips to Little Rock with a load of 4 sail boats (19' on top of truck, 2 16' on the trailer, and a 10' in the bed of the truck) plus all the masts and rigging to go along with them. Once in Little Rock I picked up a 21' sailboat factory return and then went down to Pesacola, Fl and loaded a heavy 25' water logged houseboat on the trailer for the trip back to SC. I don't know what kind of money that I could have made since all the logistics were handled by the dealer. Laws were lax back then and we didn't have any common carrier papers or authority but never had any problems. I bought my own truck, a 1976 GMC 2500 8200 LBS Camper Special with th intent of taking this business over but new regs and weigh stations hours of service, logbooks, and the IRS took al the fun out of it. So after a few years I made the leap to class 8 trucks hauling gasoline and never looked back.

Also, in the old days we didn't use any trailer brakes, overinflated the tires10-20%, and mounted smaller tries on the rear axle to balance the load. Got good with securing the boats with several loops of 3/8' braided propelyene and a triple truckers knot. We didn't use many straps and never chains.