? with block heater

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by tonkatoy01, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    ive been told that when i plug the block heater in the following day that the fluid should be warm so that once the truck starts its warm. also been told all it does is keep the block from freezing, and that it wont warm the fluid up. trying to figure out if it needs to be replaced or not

2. PSDPOWER

PSDPOWER Member

One was right. I am not a mechanic, but I did just have to replace my block heater before winter started. The heating element is inserted into the block right where coolant passes through. So the element does heat your coolant which will inturn heat anything it(coolant) touches. If your block heater is working properly your upper radiator line shold be warm to the touch.Some thing is wrong if it is not warm. Alot of times the plug end goes bad from plugging and unplugging. I actully had two problems. First my plug end went bad, I replaced with a $2 new end from homedepot. Then the connection went bad between the end of the line and the element itself. So I replaced the whole thing, $65 part from the dealer comes with new cord and element. It works 10 times better now. My truck started smooth in -5 weather here in Michigan.

3. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    thank you for the info , i'll look into replacing it. thanks again