alternator went bad

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by cumminspower572, Mar 11, 2008.

1. cumminspower572

cumminspower572 Active Member

has anyone had thier alternator go bad on them? i only have 47000 miles on my truck and i have a bad squeek coming from my alternator. im thinking the bearings are going bad already. i also was woundering if that would be covered under the powertrain wananty or not. if not where would i get a good replacement and which would be a good replacement at a resonable cost?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Should be covered under warranty.

No, that is not a common problem in anyway, but some times things fail early and for no apparent reason.

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You would think that an alternator would be covered under warranty; but I also thought my intercooler would be covered and it wasn't.

4. cumminspower572

cumminspower572 Active Member

i talked too two differant dealers and they both told me that it wouldnt be covered under the powertrain warranty

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Why not, isn't a manufacturer warranty a "bumper to bumper" plan? If it's not, and only certain parts are warranty-able, then thats BS...that's the whole idea of buying a brand new vehicle, is to not have to fix stuff!

As long as there isn't an obvious reason for the alt. failure, like 5 amplifiers under the back seat, then it SHOULD be covered under a manufacturer's warranty. An alt going out at 48K is a DEFECT, and defective parts coverage is the whole idea behind a manufacturer's warranty!

That is the whole idea of buying a new vehicle....you hope that since EVERYTHING is new, that it should last a long time, but if said NEW part happens to be defective, than thats still no big deal because the manu. should take care of their defects..... if that isn't the case than I'd just buy 3 year old used trucks and be my own warranty station and save $20k.

If I bought a new truck and the altenator went bad at 48K, and my dealer denied it under warranty, I'd be so pissed that I'd have the CEO of Daimler on the phone before the day was over....:stir:

6. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

an alternator is a wear item just like the starter . there is no way they could prevent how many times you crank the truck or if you were to hook a set of jumper cables and short out the alternator. I totally understand that if you were inside 12months or 12k that would need to be warrany, but from a mechanics point of view that is just too much to ask. You dont ask them to warranty Brakes , bulbs , . I know that it should last longer than 50k . I see them go 300k . It is not predictable and considered wear item.