Will removing the cat lower EGT's?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by 1999GMC, Dec 25, 2007.

1. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

In'Laws have a 2005 2500. Has AFE air intake, MBRP muffler, Exhuast brake, bully dog chip, and he added water/meth. Problem is with the chip even on stock setting the EGT's can get over 1300 easy if he doesn't back off on the hills pulling his toyhauler. GCWR wth trailer is 18,500. He did this stuff cause stock he was pulling the hills about 3 miles an hour faster than me pulling our toyhauler whch is 16,000, GCWR. Then I did a few things to my truck and I was pulling from him. So he went and did all this stuff and has to back out because of EGT's. even with water/ meth. if he trys pulling the hills above 55 it gets over 1300. Is the cat. restrictive enough to cause the high EGT's. Even without the chip he can get over 1300 with stock programming. The truck only has about 20K miles on it. But he is sick of staying at 50-55 going up the hills because of temp. He kicks it down to drive and he said it stays around 1250 wants to try and pass and it will start climbing. Just wondering if the cat. could be causing high EGT's or are they not that restrictive.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    shouldnt need to go any faster than 55 or 60 through the hills anyway... maybe its a hint to slow the hell down...

i remember all of the guys towing through the pass going to the dunes on I-8 in So cal... i drove those passes about 200 times, no joke. durring the summers i am sure i saw atleast 30 accidents over 3 years. its from people in a hurry and being dumb with a trailer...

3. 1999GMC

OK. So when you removed your cat did you notice a lower exhaust temp or not. Pulling a trailer up a grade at 55 without having to worry about his exhaust temp would be nice.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    oh yeah, in answer to your question, yes, it should help.

5. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

the newer dodge ctd trucks run hot...i have tried everything still runs hot going up hills...i have a turbo issue i believe, i was told that could make it run hotter...dealer is supose to change turbo out this friday, been smoking more then norm and burning 1 quart every 1500 miles...probally need to call cummins and ask why and what temp the egts should be at....the dealers dont know and the performance diesel shops all ahve different answers......

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Pulling the cat on my truck lowered my egts and they don't climb no where as fast as they use to. I'd say pull it!

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

you should always kill the kitty...unless you have any new 07.5 or 08 diesel!!!

8. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

my egts dropped by 50-100 by killing the kitty

9. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

Removing the cat should help a bit. I put on a 5" system without cat so I don't have a direct comparison.

More important, it the 2005 still has the plastic ended intercooler, it my be leaking under high boost and causing abnormally high EGTs.

10. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Definitely remove the cat; there are several benefits to removing it (ie lower egts, better sound, better performance) while there are no significant drawbacks.

11. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    That happened to me on my 05... do your in-laws have a boost gauge? If you are getting abnormally high egts, and less then normal boost, you have a leak. Although I definitely noticed when mine started to leak so you should be able to figure that out pretty easy.

12. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

The later 2005s dont have the plastic side tanks on the intercooler mine has steel. you need a boost gauge along with the EGT gauge if the boost is low and the temsp are high and there are not leaks from the turbo to the intake and the rpms are to low then he is in to high a gear.

13. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah if there is no leak he should downshift for sure. Also, what level is he running the programmer in? If you try and tow with all the extra fuel you get very high egt's.

14. DieselDog

DieselDog Member

I had the high (1450) EGT's tickling my pyro for a short time after I bought my truck new.
    But after loosing the cat, installing the TST PowerMax CR (a performance devise that achieves higher HP/torque from an injection timing advance before adding more fuel), and the "PSM Buick" cool hose/cold air intake tube-I now have one hell of a time going much over twelve hundred deg. 1250 max, and thats when I got a 9K 5er on the back, going up a 7% grade, boot through the floor in 100 deg+ heat.
    Those 3 things made a hell of a difference for me...

15. 1999GMC

Yeah. They have gauges. He has towed on the stock setting and on position 1 and 2. It got hot quicker in position 2 obviously, but he is hitting over 1300-1350 in position 1 and stock. He removed the cat a few weeks ago but hasn't towed with it yet. He said it is almost twice as loud as before. We will be taking a trip here soon hopefully and we can find out if and how much it helped. Thanks for the responses.

16. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    It seems strange to me that the EGT is that high even with the chip off; is it running at normal boost levels?

17. 1999GMC

We all went to Reno this weekend for wrestling and I asked him at breakfast and he said he has the X something chip. It has 4 or 5 positions he can change on the fly. I also think he maybe lugging it. He keeps telling me if it downshifts to 2nd gear it will cool down. I am thinking he is in OD pulling some of these grades and then it downshifts to 3rd. He is 18K lbs. truck and trailer, so I really don't think it is going into 2nd. Hopefully we'll go camping here in a few weeks and we'll find out. The other thing he said is he wonders if the Banks exhaust brake he has would be causing some of the high EGT issue.

18. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Downshifting would help out a whole lot more then the jake brake hurts...