Hey dodge guys, question

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by reddragon4x4, Apr 18, 2008.

1. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have read that out of the new 6.7's 350/650 only like 250/480 or so makes it to the ground. Now if you take all of that stuff off (in the new diesel power there was an article), that it made over 600hp/1200lbs when made into "offroad" only pulling truck.

2. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

they are different, the 6.7 pulls harder than the 5.9 and the trans feels better with 2 extra gears...dont get me wrong m iss my 06 5.9 but it was giving me tons of problems and hurting my pocket book....if i knew i was getting out of the hot shot business i would have traded for a 3/4 ton 5.9, but too late now so i will drive the 6.7 drw for a while(long time) unless i win the lotto!!!!!

3. reddragon4x4

I am debating on getting a long bed, but I think they look kind of dumb, but I would love the utility of it. I usually have a bed box on the truck and it would be nice to have a whole bed left over.

4. reddragon4x4

What's the difference in mileage between the 03's and 05's with the computer reprogramming in 2004.5. Was it a significant change?

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    The trip computer may give you a different number but your actual mileage will not change much year to year...

6. reddragon4x4

7. WSTEPHENS

WSTEPHENS Well-Known Member

The G56 is not made by Getrag and it was designed for meduim duty trucks. I have one have been very happy with it. I have towed from eastern PA to the Rockies with it and not had any problems it will pull the trailers (TT or 5er) up most grades in OD at or above the speed limit. I like it much better than the automatic that was in my 99 which I did not have any confidene in. Going down hill with the trailer is a different story needs an exhaust brake.

8. WSTEPHENS

TDR had an article a few months back were they had a Major transmission shop tear down both a NV5600 and a G56 and compair stranghts and weakness. The G56 has features that you would find in a Spicer or Eaton medium duty truck transmission that are not found in a NV5600. My take on the article was the G56 was the better of the two.

9. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:
    The 6.7 is day and night difference alright, but which is day and which is night? The 5.9 is a tried and proven work horse. It will still out pull the 6.7 under load, and maintenance cost is a pittance when compared with the newer engine. Truth is they are all good but I have Never NEVER been out pulled by a 6.7, and there have been a few that have tried.

10. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

'04 Mileage

I have an 04 2500 crew cab long bed. I pull a fifth wheel camper about once a month. The camper is about 12K loaded. The truck has 142K on it, and I recently installed an outlook monitor, and a Bully Dog Power Pup on it. I have also removed the muffler and installed a straight pipe. The last trip I took (unloaded) I got over 29mpg. in it. It is an automatic and the cruise was set at 65mph. It was a 220 mile trip. I cannot complain about the mileage nor the comfort. I'm a big man and when I go the whole family goes. Me, the wife, three kids and the family dog. We all ride comfortably. Loaded I get about 13mpg. I too wanted a manual tranny, but they don't start pulling hard until you shift into third. First and second are so close together and the engine red lines so quick. I like the auto, I just don't take off in a hurry while towing, once I get into second I can step into it.

11. WSTEPHENS

How hard do you want to pull? the manual has a 6:1 first gear ratio or more than 12:1 if you use low range like I do when I maneuver the 5er.
    when I am towing I use 1st to pull from a dead stop and it never hesitates

12. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

well your 5.9 is not stock either....my 5.9 would out pull my 6.7 cause it was juiced up, but stock 5.9 to 6.7 the 6.7 pulls harder......

13. jake

jake Well-Known Member

You are right on one thing..................They're all good.

But please.................................quit telling us that you can out pull the 6.7, when your running your truck with a box on level 5. Any truck with a box will out pull a truck without a box.:doah: You know, just because your truck can does not mean that ALL 5.9's will out pull the 6.7.

I have done a little research on the G56. It seems that the G56 is a transmision that Mercedes buit for use in there medium duty trucks in Europe, starting soon after 2002. They have been in use several years before they were put in out trucks in '06.

Personally, I think with both transmisions being in stock form, a manual will take more than the auto.

My 2 cents.;)

14. dodgerep

dodgerep Well-Known Member

Media:

Perhaps my 94 with no box, four speed and 1,894,000 miles would be a better example.. or perhaps the 02 with 1.3 million, or any of the other 5.9's in my fleet that don't have any mods. ;)

15. mrgenz

mrgenz Member

mrgenz

I have an 07,with 9000 miles for sale,6 speed,5.9 cummins,373 locking rear,2wd,michelins,fram boost,dr performance chip,alum. factory wheels,w/aero turbine muffler ,towed with less than 1000 miles,need to sell ,ust getting out of the rv thing. mrgenz