Three trucks... Which to buy

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by Tyson, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Tyson

Tyson Member

I'm in the market for my next tow rig/camper hauler. Plan to haul a 3klb cabover camper and pull a built 4klb Jeep on a 1.5klb trailer.

Three trucks I've got my eye on I'll describe here. Which do y'all think would more suit my needs. All are 5.9, and all are 4wd.

1999 extended cab, 3500 DRW 5.9, auto, 145k mi, handfull of BANKS mods including intake, larger turbo, 4" exhaust, banks guages. Also had a few things recently repaired. New lift pump, track bar (which destroyed the front tires). These tires still need to be replaced. Rear tires in excellent shape.
    Price $10k

2001 extended cab, 3500 DRW, 5.9, 96k mi, auto, completely stock, very clean, no problems noted. full set of like new tires and extra set of stud tires for winter in like new shape.
    Price $12k

2004 crew cab, 3500, DRW, 5.9, 196k mi, Manual, 5th wheel hitch, was used to haul trailers from New Mexico to Alaska.
    Price $12k
    2004 3500

Let me know what y'all think and if there is anything I need to look at more closely before buying.

thanks.
    Ty.

2. gbuddenhagen

gbuddenhagen Well-Known Member

probally the one with the banks goodies and repalce the front tires with matching ones or just put 6 new ones all the way around.....for $10 k its sounds good.....i would not wait long to buy the truck, cause people are buying the older ones up real fast!!!!

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I could be missing something, but for a towrig the 04 seems like the no-brainer choice. I would always go for the newer one if it is in your price range. Also the manuel trans is much better than the 47RE auto in the other two trucks. What kind of shape is the 04 in? Also I usually think twice about buying a truck that is already modded. I would think that it would be more fun to do all that yourself... but thats just me.

4. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I'm with 4054x4. I have an '04 with 167,000 and it drives like a dream compared to the '01 that I have also. I am also cautious about buying truck that has been modified to much. The manual in the '04 would be a lot better tranny than the auto's in the older trucks. If you buy those plan on replacing them sooner or later. Probably sooner than later. Some things to look for in the '04 are u-joints and ball joints up front, u-joints in the drive shaft, brakes, normal wear items on those trucks. Speaking of brakes, the '04 will have twice the brakes as the older trucks. Not to mention how much nicer it would be cosmeticaly. My 2 cents.waytogo

5. behindbars

behindbars Member

I vote for the '04. I'd stay away from a used VP44 truck if it were me. Also for the tranny issue as above.

6. hotrodscott

hotrodscott Guest

X4 It's really no contest

7. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

04! hands down!

8. RockAuto Jessa

RockAuto Jessa Member

9. in2gpn

in2gpn Member

I'd buy the 04 Its got alot of miles but its new, and seems to be all hwy miles, which is good.

I just bought a 04 2500 QC/SB SLT 4X4 with 148K miles for $12 and the thing other than tires is mint

Just my .02