'91 Suburban (1500) to tow the offraod burb, tire opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by gmcjimmy88, Sep 2, 2008.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I need to get new tires for the future towrig. It is a 2WD 1991 GMC Suburban 1500. I will be towing my '06 20 foot steel deck Kaufman trailer with my 86 3/4 ton suburban with 37 in MTR's loaded on it. Before anyone yells at me for this load let me say the trailer has brakes on both axles, I am swpping the factory 2500 springs from my 86 onto the 91, and a new set of HD shocks before this load is made. I hooked the setup up and drove it around the block with the factory setup and it did decent.

Anyway to the tire thoughts.

I wanted to go with an "E" rated tire but I am having trouble finding something in a 15 inch wheel. The factory tire size is 235-75R15. I would prefer to keep the same tire size (height) and would rather not buy new wheels to go with a 16 inch tire. I found these tires which look like they would do the job. I will need to swap my trailer tires (same size) to a heavier tire as well. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sean

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

If I read the specs right the max inflation is 41 lbs. My guess is that is only a load range C tire. If so I would be cautious with that tire while pulling a load like you discribed. Michelin does make good tires and if you are set on keeping your stock 15 inch wheels the Michelins may be your best bet. However, I would recomend purchasing an inexpensive set of wheels in a 16 inch and then purchase the correct load range tire.

LT.

3. gmcjimmy88

Media:
    Maybe I linked the wrong tire. I thought it was around 50PSI. I will have to look for a set of rims I guess. I wish the burb was 5 lug though it would make the rim selection much better. The 5 lug just don't seem to be as abundent in 16 inch.

4. Rob Knoell

When I went to the specs. it told me that the tire selected was a 235/75R15. Max load was at 2183 lbs. max inflation was at 41 psi. tread depth was 13/32" weight was 33 lbs. and rim width was 6 - 8.5 and was measured on a rim that was 6" wide.
    I understand the problem that you are facing with the 5 lug wheels. I am wondering if it is still prudent to use that vehicle. I am thinking about the modifications that you are planning for the truck and the hurtles still needing to be addressed, such as you lack of tire options. Would it be worth it to sell the vehicle you have now and try to find a vehicle that is closer to what you are needing? If not, then I think that you are on the right track with the rear spring and shock swap. Your decision to go with the Michelins is not a bad one. It is just too bad that you cannot find five lug 16" wheels. I think that you may be able to pull this off as long as you have the trailer loaded correctly. Not too much tounge weight and make sure that the trailer is in good operating condition. I would also suggest that you may want to look into a load distrubting hitch as well.
    Good luck with your rig,
    LT.

5. gmcjimmy88

Media:

I forgot to add the LD hitch but that is in the market as well before any serious towing. My current towrig is an 05 2500HD but the seating constraints limits its use. I will use it when I am without the family (until I sell it). The trailer is in excellent operating condition and all four brakes work great. I know I am at the limits of it's capacity but with the upgrades and options it will pull and stop it just fine. I do not plan on driving across country or through any large mountains at 90 MPH either. Thanks for the advice. I am looking for a set of wheels now for it.

Edit: The reason I plan on sticking with this truck is the price and money I have in it. I gave $500 for it, I will try to get pictures of it later.

6. Rob Knoell

Model Line OverviewThis is some information that I was able to source on your new tow rig. Assuming that this a accurate then with your modification to your rig it will be close to the upper limits of your towing capacity. But it will do it it just will not break any records doing it. I hope that you find this information useful.

LT.

Model lineup:N/AEngines:7.4-liter OHV V8 - 230 hp, 385 lb.-ft.; 6.5-liter turbodiesel V8 - 190 hp,385 lb.-ft.Transmissions:N/ASafety equipment (standard):N/ASafety equipment (optional):N/ABasic warranty:3 years/36,000 milesAssembled in:Janesville, WisconsinSpecifications As TestedModel tested (MSRP):N/AStandard equipment:N/AOptions as tested (MSRP):N/ADestination charge:N/AGas guzzler tax:N/APrice as tested (MSRP):$30,039Layout:N/AEngine:5.7-liter OHV V8Horsepower (hp @ rpm):200 @ 4000Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm):310 @ 2400Transmission:4-speed automaticEPA fuel economy, city/hwy:13 / 15 mpgWheelbase:131.5 in.Length/width/height:220.0 / 77.0 / 70.2 in.Track, f/r:62.6 / 63.6 in.Turning circle:N/ASeating capacity:N/AHead/hip/leg room, f:39.9 / 60 / 41.7 in.Head/hip/leg room, m:N/AHead/hip/leg room, r:N/ACargo volume:N/APayload:N/ATowing capacity:6500 (optional 10000Lbs) Lbs.Suspension, f:Independent with unequal length control arms, coil springs, antiroll barSuspension, r:Hypoid drive-leaf springsGround clearance:7 in.Curb weight:4691 lbs.Tires:N/ABrakes, f/r:11.57-in. disc / 11.15-in drum, 4-wheel ABSFuel capacity:30.0 gal.

7. gmcjimmy88

Media:
    I am not assuming the mods will allow me to tow 10K but with the 2500 suspension, W-D hitch, Heavy duty tires (prefer E's), Good brakes at all 8 wheels, proper load position on the trailer, and some common since the burb should handle 8-9K.

Thanks for the input and opinions.

8. Rob Knoell

Sounds like you have a plan and that is a large portion of the battle. Good luck with your mods and keep us informed on how well it works.

LT.