06 3500 manual trans ?s

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by clanders, Sep 2, 2008.

1. clanders

clanders New Member

I have an 06 4x4 3500 with the 48re, and was looking to replace it with the 6 speed manual trans. Does anyone know if the nv5600 will work with it or is there some differences in the mounting pattern between the g56 and the nv5600, any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. jake

jake Well-Known Member

:dunno: No body knows........ I'm curious about the same thing.

3. behindbars

behindbars Member

I don't know about them bolting up. I'm sure if they don't someone sells an adapter plate. I have read that the computer needs reflashed. Smarty has an auto to stick reflash but you have to have a Smarty.

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Don't like the auto huh? I would save the money and headache on the conversion and just build up your auto to handle all the power and towing you can throw at it.

5. mario

mario Active Member

Media:
    The swap is definitely possible ,im pretty sure the guy who put the cummins in the ford used the nv5600 you probably have to buy that specific bellhousing

6. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yes, it will bolt right up. What you really need to do is find someone with a stick truck that wants an Auto. Put em side by side and start switching parts. I know a few guys that have done it. All the parts are typical, so its just a matter of getting them moved over.

As for the ECM, yes, you will need to flash your truck to a manual transmission program.

Honestly, its alot of work when your truck is new enough you might just want to find someone that wants to trade trucks.

Both the NV5600 and G56 are good units. I like the shifts on the G56 better, but the NV5600 has a more desirable overdrive ratio.

You're 48RE can be beefed up a bit as well . . .

7. 6006spd

6006spd Member

if you go with a g56 upgrade the clutch cause the stock ones dont like chips and towing it will start to slip before you know it

8. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Ture that! I would recommend a South Bend Clutch. Their name comes up more often than not when it comes to aftermarket clutches. The G-56 has an aluminum housing that has some folks wondering about its duarbility. The NV-5600 had a more robust housing but it also had a little different shifting pattern. Reverse is next to 5th gear on the 5600. The G-56 has reverse next to second gear. To me that makes more sense.

There are days when I wish that I had an automatic but, then all I have to do is hook up to a trailer and I am glad that I have the G-56. If it is just a matter of how much horse power you can throw to an automatic I have read of a lady in Canada who put over 900 hp and 1891 foot pounds of torque thorough an auto. She was in this years Diesel Power Challenge put on by Diesel Power Magazine.

LT.