Stacks

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Rob Knoell, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I searched to make sure that I was not repeating anything here so here it goes. How many of y'all have stacks? Do you like them? Do you think that they are too loud? What company made your stacks if you have them? Can you still carry on a conversion in the cab. Is it unreasonable to hear music and the like in your rig?

I am looking at a set from Black Cloud Diesel. The 7" bull haulers or the Aussie stacks and I am wondering if it would be a sound (pardon the pun) purchase.

Thanks
    LT.

2. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have them on my personal 2006 Dodge, and we have a set here for the 91.5 parts runner. I obviously am a huge fan of them. They are a bit noisey, though. On my CR, they are reasonable on the highway under a light load, but can be obnoxious at the right RPMs. Accelerating is just plain loud. I went and did a budget dynamat job on the back wall and roof that knocked the sound down considerably. I plan to do a bit more to it anyhow, so we'll see how much more sound we can eliminate. Only reason I haven't put a muffler on is I think it sounds perfect outside the cab and I plan to put twins back on the truck, and the twins knock the sound down a pretty good amount as well.

I have 6" bull haulers on my truck.

We get all our stacks from Grand Rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    How are your plastic nuts holding up? rotfl

4. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

I see you have Oregon plates. Is that because of the California emissions crap?

5. Rob Knoell

Thanks for the input Diesel Nut. I am a little worried about the noise level especially since they are at about head level and are placed right behind the cab of the truck. I like the way my truck sounds now and that it is relatively quiet on the inside of the truck. I will see if I can manage to catch a ride in a rig that has the stacks.

LT.

6. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Regarding Diesel Nut's truck... when you are cruising at about 50 and the tc locks and the rpm's drop the thing sounds like a damn helicopter... pretty loud inside the cab but it sounds awesome!waytogo

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Aw, heck, They cracked. I took em off a while ago. I didn't want to put them on there, but the G/F's brother gave em to me for christmas, so I kinda had to a least for a while. :doah:

Ben (4054x4) has driven my truck a couple of times, so there ya go. waytogo

8. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I have 5' miter cut stacks from Silverline. On my Ford they are pretty loud on wideopen throttle. When towing on the highway at 65mph it quiets down real good.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    i loved mine, and would do it again only if i had a long bed. a short bed looses too much space, and didnt look as good as it could have.

all of my stack items were grand rock pipes that i picked them up from a big rig store here in town.

all i had was 5 inch stacks, 4 inch everything else. this kept the cost down a bit, and gave me options later down the road.

10. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

they are going to be loud in the cab no matter what you do, compared to rear exit.

there are some things to make it a little less annoying.

make sure the exit of the stach is a few inches above the roof.

they make baffles that go inside of the stack to quiet it down.

you can slide a free flow muffler in before the stacks and it will quiet it down considerably.

but again no matter what you do, the sound is right by your head. lol

11. Rob Knoell

Yeah, the sound is what is holding me back. I don't mind the noise as long as I don't have to listen to it all the time. It would be cool on short trips but when I drive it is usually on longer runs. So, for right now they are going to be on hold.

LT.

12. Rob Knoell

Diesel Nut, so do I understand you correctly that you do not have mufflers installed on your stacks? I would think that with the bullhauler stacks that the noise would not be so bad in the cab due to the exhaust note and such pointed rearwards. Is there another way to get a muffler installed before the stacks?

LT.

13. Avery4jc

Avery4jc Well-Known Member

Maybe this only works for gassers (since that's the only place I've seen them) but what about electronic cut-outs?

On long trips just run it through a muffler and way out the back but when you want to screw around or on short trips use the cut-outs to route it up through the stacks bypassing the muffler?
    Just a thought.

14. Rob Knoell

Not a bad thought. One of the reasons I was looking at the stacks was because the rear of my truck is always black. I was wanting to move the exhaust so that I was not having to wash the truck every time out.

LT.

15. GRI

GRI Well-Known Member

if you put an aero turbine muffler in before the pipe goes up through the bed the sound wouldnt be that bad in the cab and it would sound awesome. just make sure the stacks are slightly higher than the roof.
    if it is still too loud they make baffles that slide right in the stacks themselves and it akes the drone out of the sound.

16. Rob Knoell

Thanks. I am going to look into it further.

LT.

17. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yeah... I would say just weld a muffler of your choice in before the pipe splits for your stacks...

Magnaflows are nice and quiet from what I have experienced...