Max Safe EGT?

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by 4054x4, Oct 27, 2008.

1. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey guys.

I searched around a bit but could not find a thread about this issue so I apologize if I am repeating anyone.:eek:

What is the maximum safe exhaust gas temperature to maintain for an extended period (eg. pulling a grade)?

Also, does this number differ from engine to engine?

Thanks.

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

My best friend is a 30+ year cummins certified tech. He told me for my truck that I could run 1300 degrees all day. Also said that BRIEF spikes up to 1600 is ok.

3. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I believe 1200 is the safe limit. Anything over that for extended periods of time will caude turbo failure. A truck in stock form should not have those issues. A spike higher to 1600 is normal for some truck while racing.

4. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I have heard conflicting reports as to what is a safe limit. The one thing that I have heard that remains somewhat consistent is the 1250 limit for a contunious limit for the Cummins. I have heard 1250 max for the D-max and Strokers. I would assume that is due to the D-max's aluminum head. However, I have also seen more than 1250 sustained for a while on a D-max. I guess that 1250 is a good rule of thumb but, I would not want to even push that limit.

LT.

5. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Supposedly this question is on the cummins cert test and 1400 for sustained periods is the answer. Not that I don't fully trust my buddy, but would be nice to see it in writing from Cummins.

Theres some dmaxs around here that see well above 1600 during sled pulling.

My EGT probe is post turbo and towing, if I lug it in od i'll hit 1100. I figure add +300 for the probe being post turbo. I'll drop it out OD if it looks like its going to be a long pull, just for my piece of mind.

6. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I just know that aluminum melts at about 1220 degrees... so it seems like anything above that may be sketchy...:confused: