370 marine injectors=high EGT's?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by moneypit_K5, Sep 3, 2008.

1. moneypit_K5

moneypit_K5 New Member

Mind if I pick ya'lls brain a little?

Well I replaced my injectors with some 370 marines. plenty of power,

but my EGT gauge increase faster than my boost gauge.
    at 65 on the freeway with the TC locked in, 1800RPM's, my gauge is reading 1500+ deg.

Obviously, with EGT's that high, I cant even run freeway speeds, and towing my trailer? forget it.

I did a lot of research before i put those injectors in, and Ive never heard of anyone having that high of EGT's.

Im running a bigger turbo (Aurora 3000), K&N air intake, and stock intake plenum. I figured my increased boost would counteract my increased fuel.

Crazy thing is, it barely puffs smoke when i get on it and sometimes not at all. and thats what was the big complaint with 370's...

What on earth could be causing this? I could run a different plenum, but thats only going to get me 100 degrees or so right?

before the turbo, it ran a consistant 900 down the freeway.

after the turbo, it ran up to about 1200, but backed back down as it spooled more air.

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Have you adjusted the timing any? What year truck is this? Fill out your sig so that we can help you out. waytogo

3. moneypit_K5

moneypit_K5 New Member

sorry, completely spaced it. my info is now in the sig.

I haven't adjusted the timing, not really sure where it is set right now. Ive owned it for the last150K, it has a little over 250K now.this thing has always ran poorly in my opinion, more so lately, so i replaced the injectors thinking it was about time.

4. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

C'mon, tell us more about it! Any exhaust mods? I'd put a 4" exhaust all the way through, CAI, and bump the timing up to 15.5-16*

5. moneypit_K5

moneypit_K5 New Member

hmm...

Man, I don't know what the deal is, I put all kinds of info in my sig, none of it showed up. oh well, anyhow, Ive got 3" straight pipe turbo back, seems to flow pretty good, would bigger exhaust do me any favors?

Im not sure where the timing is set or even how to do it. i can tear down and rebuild a DOHC mercedes straight 6, but i dont know how to set my cummins timing?what the hell?:doah:So, I would definitly appreciate the info if you could tell me.

thanks in advance.

6. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    For one, you need to check the accuracy of your pyro guage.

If you are reading 1500* at just a cruising speed on the highway, I don't think you'd make it more than 5-10 miles before you burned a piston down.

Big injectors or not, it only takes so much horsepower to push one of these trucks down the road. I can't imagine a set of injectors causing that drastic of an EGT change. Mainly due that the actual fuel rate can't be changed much going down the road at 70mph or so, again... it only takes so much fuel to make, say 75-100HP, to keep your 7,000lb truck moving. In theory, if your 370's were dumping that much extra fuel cruising down the road, you'd be gaining speed until what ever speed caused enough drag to equal to the new amount of HP you are making.

7. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

370s do burn hot, but not really any hotter when you're not getting on it. Timing isnt that hard to do, it's just a little involved process:
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm
    There is a way to do it without the fancy tools, but there's not much accuracy doing it that way.

8. Rbratby

Rbratby Member

I agree. I would check the accuracy of the pyro. If you are running that hot it would not take very long to melt something. 370's run hotter due to the incorrect spray angle for our trucks pistons. 370's are 10* off from the stock spray angle.