Pyrometer Install

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by 06MegaCab, Nov 13, 2008.

1. 06MegaCab

06MegaCab Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ok i am going to install my gauges on saturday and i need to make sure i do this right

the only thing that i have to drill and tap on this install is the pyrometer into the manifold pre turbo (the boost gauge was given with a boost bolt)

i was wondering what i should do for this i have heard two different ways

1. disconnect the turbo and put a rag inbetween the two so no shavings get in it and drill from a pilot hole slowly up one size until i get to the R drill bit, vaccuming near the drill bit and tap as i go with no grease on the tap

2. leaving the engine on and drill a pilot hole then a size R hole and grease the bit and tap while the exhaust blows the chips outward

what have yall done??

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I have heard both as well. If it was me and my personal truck I would want to make sure it was done right. I guess just for the assurance of not having any metal flakes anywhere in the turbo I would pull the manifold off of the truck. Place it on the work bench and drill and tap there. Then making sure that the manifold if perfectly clean before I would re-install it on the motor. This way you are not second guessing anything that you may have heard about keeping the metal shavings out of the turbo. Just my .02.

LT.

3. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

On the several trucks I have done, I just drilled and was done with it, not one problem on any of them. All pre turbo BTW.

4. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member

Media:
    I magnetize my drill bits and taps and what ever is left I get out with a small magnet than I bought that has an extend-able handle....

5. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Just drill and tap w/ a shop vac hose right next to the bit...